albino bristlenose pleco behaviour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corygirl50

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Hello I've been reading posts on the forum. Read something and there was a pic and they said that it looked like it could be possible burn from the heater.

My ABNP I've had him for about 4 weeks, but one off his Fav spots to hang out is on the heater. Temp is constant 80 and he seems fine- but that comment raised some concern. Should I be concerned? And bury the heater in the substrate?

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I would not bury the heater in the substrate. Unless you are telling be the Pleco is sick and could not move> I can not see him allowing the heater to burn his body. So whatever spot the heater put on him I definitely don't think it is anything to be alarmed about.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Agreed the heater should not be buried in the substrate, that's not good for it at all. Plecos won't let the heaters burn them unless they are to sick to move. Inspect him for burns and keep an eye on his health, but don't overly worry about it. I've never had a pleco, or any other fish, burn themselves on a heater. Most of my plecos have always enjoyed hanging out between the heater and the wall.

Reactions: smitty

corygirl50

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Thank you - I just had to ask. That comment kinda scared me. Because like yours he hangs out on the heater alot!

He also goes into the tube of the sponge filter and faces the bubbles. Looks super funny.

Thank you again.
Agreed the heater should not be buried in the substrate, that's not good for it at all. Plecos won't let the heaters burn them unless they are to sick to move. Inspect him for burns and keep an eye on his health, but don't overly worry about it. I've never had a pleco, or any other fish, burn themselves on a heater. Most of my plecos have always enjoyed hanging out between the heater and the wall.

corygirl50

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Thank you for the feedback. He's healthy and seems happy. but I needed to ask. Better safe than sorry ☺

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Get him a cave. BN plecos like caves

corygirl50

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
Thank you Tanker -already did that - Viking helmet, he moved in after he cleaned it! He has 3 hangouts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store