albino channel cat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

srobles

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
just saw one at my lfs. wondering if anyone has ever owned one or know anything about them. how fast do they grow? whatd do they eat? how much do they eat?are they hard to breed? ect. thanks in advance.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
They get up to 3-4 foot, eat anything they can fit in their mouth, and should hit 12 inches within a year. Breeding in an aquarium is tough--having a tank big enough for two adults, then providing a good muddy bank for spawning. They are commercially bred in large ponds, spawned by hand, and raised in raceways, similar to trout and other game fish hatcheries. Not an appropriate fish for anything under 1000 gallons, IMO.

fishfreaks

AC Members
Dec 12, 2004
USA
we had an albino channel cat when we first set up our tank. he grew from an inch, to 9 inches within 3 months. needless to say we took him back to the lfs store. he was bought by another customer though. Sure wish we had a tank large enough to house him though!

Snake Eyez

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
Central Florida
Visit site
Like has been stated these fish big and they have an appetite to match their size. When I first got mine he was in a cummunity tank. I then noticed that I was missing fish. Their bodies were never found, but the cat was surely growing. Now I have him in a tank with a few cichlids and a crawfish. He's doing well in there and gets feed well, just not any fish. As he gets larger I will move him into a new place. I'm gonna get an old plastic container that we used on our farm and convert that into a type of tank. It's around 250gallons. That will give me enough time to work on my pond.

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I got 2 channel cats around 2-3"s last fall, now they are 5 and 6 inches. They will eat anything, they even eat algae wafers that I feed my pleco. One time I put 30 feeder guppies and 20 ghost shrimp in there with them. When I looked in the tank the next day around lunch time, they were all gone. I still see a ghost shrimp every now and then, I don't know where it is hiding.

Great cats, but make sure you will have a place for them before you get them.

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
if you live east of the mississippi, when they get large just release them into local water. i know you shouldnt do it but they are native to that area. i dont even know why i posted this because people probably wont agree with me

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Releasing an animal from an aquariumis illegal. Encouraging illegal activities is a) contrary to the TOS you agreed to abide by when you signed up, b) endangers this hobby--the more idiots that release fish into water ways, the more restrictions the rest of us face by encouraging laws that limit what can be kept; and c) a horrible risk to take in terms of exposing wild fish to diseases prevalent in aquariums.

vikingfisherman

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
dont release him when he gets big eat him!!!!!!

fried catfish is great!!

also they grow relative to what you feedem carefull keepin em in an aquarium if they get to big the get real strong ive had one in a 100 gall and he broke the glass with his tail!!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
OrionGirl said:
Releasing an animal from an aquariumis illegal. Encouraging illegal activities is a) contrary to the TOS you agreed to abide by when you signed up, b) endangers this hobby--the more idiots that release fish into water ways, the more restrictions the rest of us face by encouraging laws that limit what can be kept; and c) a horrible risk to take in terms of exposing wild fish to diseases prevalent in aquariums.
i understand that people would get mad but here are some things to consider:

the same place you get channel cats albino or regular are the same people that sell them to people with ponds or lakes ect. so basically it is the same source with two different endpoints ponds and lakes or aquariums. and i believe if you write to your DNR for permission to release a catfish they will allow it. collecting bass and bluegills for aquariums is illegal, until you write the dnr and they give you a permit. when you stock a lake all you need is a permit and you can stock bass, crappie, muskies, ect. so actually all you need is a permit and you should be able to release the catfish. you must investigate the local laws and then take action from there. so actually as idiotic as you would like to think it is (for exotic species i couldnt agree with you more)---for a species like a channel cat, it really isnt that stupid. But i am sure that everyone on this webpage including yourself is aware of these laws, i just wanted to recite them to any inquiring minds. So basically find a pond owner and look into the laws and you should be set. And yes as another person said you could fry it up, catfish is tasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
It's illegal to release any fish into any public waterway. Releasing one into a private lake or pond is something totally different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store