Algae and Nutrient balance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Well I am preparing a SE Asian tank right now, which will be where the Gourami and Loaches move to soon.

Then maybe I'll try some amanno shrimp, because i do really love the way they look and scurry around.

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
If you have a tank dedicated to shrimp make sure you don't have any larger fish as they will , more than likley , nibble at the shrimp when they molt - which they will.

Tetras or rasboras would go well.

You should also look into the bamboo shrimp which gets slightly larger and is a filterfeeder(I believe) which would work well in a planted tank.

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
The Bamboo shrimp is also called a "wood shrimp" I think I just saw some on auction on www.aquabid.com .

The end goal for my big tank is probably going to be Peacock Gudgeons, Ammano shrimp, some ottos, then either a group of rasboras or Cardinal tetras.

One question a friend raised was if Discus would go after shrimp and small fish with thier well documented timid nature.

I don't know why but I like the idea of a heavily planted tank with tiny fish in it.

I have , on the other hand, a 55 in my "workshop" which has some 7"+ green severum in it with a pleco.

The new 55 will house the small group of clown loaches and blue gouriami with probably a bristlenose or rubber lip pleco for algae control.

Hello, my name is Skippy, and I have a fish problem.

Last edited:

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
Discus will eat shrimp and smaller fish.

Watch out with the bristlenosed pleco in a planted tank - it will consume the algae present overnight and then rasp on plants, especially larger leaved ones like swords.

You need to provide a lot of bulk vegetable food for them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store