algae bloom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
so im in the middle of an algea bloom here and im trying to search and figure out the quickest way to end it. It started a week ago after i did a water change and cleaned my filter. I suspect i robbed too much bio filter and caused this. My question is whether or not water changes will help end this problem. I did one mid week hoping to cure the bloom but it didnt help at all and Ive seen conflicting responses on here about it and i was looking for a definitive answer. Thanks Guys! my water numbers are PH-7.2, Ammo-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-5-10ppm :dive2:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
algae is always the result of excess nutrients and excessive light. nutrients can be phosphate or nitrates or both and in turn, are due to excessive feeding and/or insufficient water changes. phosphate 'can' come in with your tap water, the type of carbon you may be using (a great many of the available carbons on the market contain phosphate) or the brand of food you're using. even though your nitrates are low, you may have high dissolved organic compounds which can also be utilized by algae as a nutrient source.

light can be a function of ambient (a tank too near a window) or tank lights on too long during the day.

cut down on feedings to that amount which the fish can consume in about 2 minutes ... with none of it hitting the gravel. this means dispersing it gradually rather than just dumping in some food. do 50 percent water changes weekly. vacuum the gravel every time you do a water change. keep the filter cartridges clean by rinsing them in tank water when you do water changes.

kjenber

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
MI
I not like most people like the natural look of alge to a point,I dont
let it get out of hand.
IS your tank in direct sunlight.If it is you may want to move it.Is the tank planted with live plants.If not you may want to reduce the watts of light
to around 1/2 to 1 watt per gal.
Is the alge brown or green. Brown and slimy is NOT good. Green and firm is fine.
The best way to get rid of it is to clean it.

kjenber

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
MI
Liv has given you the rocket scince. Put his way and mine together you
are good to go
MY TANK
1 Bolvirin Snub Nose
3 Vampire Tetra/Hydrolicis scombrodius
1 Baracuda
1 Tire Track Eel
1 Needel Nose Gar
2 Bristil Nose Pleco
1 Tea Cup Sting Ray
1 Cat Fish Of Some Sort

Floridaboiler

Registered Member
Mar 15, 2006
Thanks for the ideas on how to deal with algae. I have had my 10 gallon tank since last September and just recently I have been fighting a problem with algae. I admit I don't ever test the water but I did recently switch from incandescent lamps to florescent (sp??) lights in the hood and I wonder if that is what is causing the problem.

I might try switching back to the old style incandescent or find a lower power florescent bulb and see if that helps.

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
so this algae bloom isnt just the result of a cycle, and that i should just wait it out? because that was what i was told by someone else a while back. So im just :huh: Thanks for the input! Anyone one else have more thoughts??

mainer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
so then changing my substrate right now wouldnt do anything but help right? I have been waiting to do this anyway now wouldnt be a bad time right?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Are you still reading 0 ammonia? The initial algae bloom that is often seen when you start cycling a tank is from ammonia being present.

So keep testing for ammonia. That will tell you if your tank is recycling. The bloom could be caused by several different factors are not a proof positive for a tank recycling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store