algae eatters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

downloader

AC Members
Oct 29, 2001
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
What is better to have Chinese algae eatters or flying foxes
I need something to clean the glass and plant leaves. I have a little brown and some green algae, not a problem just a little ugly looking. I don't want any plecos in this tank, and there are no sae around here, and I'm tired of buying ten otos and having 2 make it. I'm looking for a community algae eatter which is the best choice?

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
A Bristlenose pleco only grows up to 6 inches and would CLEAN everything and leave it spotless. Too bad you dont want one. The other 2 you mentioned, would eat algae, but not as much as you would hope for. Whats wrong with a 6 inch max pleco?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
How large of a tank do you currently have? and what are its inhabitants?

As an alternative to an algae eater, maybe we can find the source of your algae
You say you have agree on your plants leaves... are these live plants? If so, how much lighting do you have over your tank? Are you injection CO2? If so, what is your pH and kh levels? What is your fertillizing routine?
If your tank is fish only, we're gonna need to know your nitrate levels, water changing frequency (and amount), and what kind of lighting your tank is exposed to.

-Richer

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
CAEs dont eat algae, they get large and very aggressive.

SAEs (siamese algae eaters) stay smaller and do a very good job on soft green algae

flying foxes also eat soft green and some hair algae

ottos are the best for diatom algae. they stay small, are peaceful, and are totally dedicated to eating them and nothing else.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Yep - forget the CAE. Over here the common name is sucking loach - very appropriate, because they suck big time. Nasty things.

I have a flying fox that's doing bugger all about the algae in its tank, but I suspect these things vary. I have the same experience of ottos (I think there's an otto fairy that spirits them away in the middle of the night, because you never find a body, do you?).

Shame about your "no plecos" thang - a small Ancistrus or similar would do the job. Ottos are only little plecs anyway, from a classification viewpoint. How about Farlowellas (sp?) or banjo cats?

downloader

AC Members
Oct 29, 2001
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
thanks for all the replys. I have a 50 gal, water changes every week. No co2 or ferts. With tetras. The algea is not really a problem. Its just on a few leaves of my anubis nana . I think I'll go with the flying fox. I have plecos in my other tanks, but I want to keep this one pleco free. Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store