Algae infestation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zorgo

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I have a Algae infestation! I have had freshwater fish for years, and tell now I have never had a BIG problem with Algae. Most of the time my Algae eaters will take care of it and if not I can wipe it off the side of the tank real easy. I don't know what happen, but I have incontered a type of algae that is like paint. My Algae eaters can't get it off the sides and I have to get in there in and really scrub to get it off. Does anyone know a way to eradicate this form of algae? I have not tried Algae killer yet is this the key, or do I need something with more power?

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
hmmm...wait for others to chime in for this, but the algae killer is usually not all that effective, and you want to avoid putting chemicals into the tank if it can be at all avoided. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions soon, so hold off on the algae killer for now :thm:

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
You said its like paint? is it neon green? might be cyanobacteria. theres some sort of antibiotic ercmicyn or something (spelling?) thats supposed to kill it.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
I had some very crusty bright green algae spots on the glass recently. Magnetic scrubber did nothing to remove it and my pleco wouldn't eat it.

I got a fresh razorblade and it scraped right off quite easily.

cmzrotti3

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2005
is it brown or green? I had a brown algae prob that the only solution was a chemical treatment. Moving tank out of direct sunlight helped.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Cyanobacteria should come off easily.

Is it spot algae?

A razor will take it off.

I read a bit where its associated with low phosphate levels. You could try dosing phosphates. Are you planted or fish only? Regular water changes? Anything change about your water recently?

I don't think antibiotics belong in fish tanks, what with the resistant strain problem, but they can also wreak havoc on your biofilter.

Zorgo

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
It is what is pictured above little green spots. I am going to try the razor blade soon. I have a fish only setting as of right now and I change half a tank once a month. This is something that is in my water I am sure, because I moved in this house a year ago and that is when it started. I do regular test and my water is fine. The only thing I can point it to is that I have well water and it is really hard. I am going to have to get a house filter because my water reads over 17 parts. For anyone that knows that is off the hardness scale top of the scale being 10 parts. For now I am hopeing that I can keep it down with the razor blade. I hate to put any chemicals in the tank to kill it. because of other algaes that my sucker eats. :read:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I found one item on spot algae that said it was associated with low phosphates.

They may have it in embarassment free packages at your LFS, see if they have plant supplies.

Fleet enema at the drugstore is the cheaper version (potassium phosphate). Just a few drops.

I don't like the algaecide route either, and if you can't find the root cause carpet-bombing is just a rearguard action. It'll come back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store