Algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I would also up your cleaning crew, snails, and even emerald crabs, but your going to need to take those rocks out and givem a scrubbing.

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
I took most of the rock out 2 weeks ago and really scrubbed them with a tooth brush. Didn't seem to work very well. Is there a better way or something else I should be using to scrub them??

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
personally I would do a complete overhaul.

Steps I would take:

- Remove all the rock, put it in a bin with saltwater, a heater and a powerhead.. Cover it so no light gets through and forget about it for a few weeks, changing the water ever so often if lots of debris comes out of it. It's probably the best way to get every spec of algae off the rock

- Get rid of the deep sand bed and instead leave about a 1" bed at the bottom. sandbeds can become finicky through time. A 4 year old deep sand bed might be doing more harm than good

- 50% water change when removing most of the sand

- If you'll dedicate yourself to change the filter pads weekly, then I'd put some in the cannister filter.. if you don't foresee yourself doing so, then I'd put nothing in the cannister (besides some carbon from time to time)

- Cut the lights down to like 4 hours a day. Corals will live much longer in low light than they will with too much light.

- if an RODI is within your budget, I would definitely invest in one, but in the meantime you should check your water to make sure that isn't the issue.

But that's just me. . good luck!

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
I broke the entire tank down. I placed all of the rock into Rubbermaid containers and did weekly water changes. I set up at 20 gallon and placed the coral into that tank so that I could remove all of the. sand. I have bought a new cleanup crew and the tank has already cycled. I'm hoping by next week to be placing the coral back into the large tank

Still have some work to do with aquascape

uploadfromtaptalk1352680160951.jpg

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1352680160951.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store