Alge in new set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Anyone got any advice please on the best way to get rid of alge, I have recently set up a new tank '3 weeks' with lights (I did not have any in my old tank so did not have a alge problem) and brown alge or diatom 'what ever its called' is spreading on my silk and real plants also on the back of the tank glass, now Iv noticed that the green alge is growing over the brown on the glass, I have scraped it off the glass but I have a small hillstream loach so should I leave some for it to eat.

Last edited:

Locust

AC Members
Sep 30, 2003
Redmond, Wa
Visit site
This is normal for a new tank. Your hillstream should eat the brown algae, though you should feed the loach the occassional sinking wafer as well to guarantee a balanced diet. In time, the algae should clear up. If it doesn't, you can always add an algae eater to help out.

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Cheers locust I was thinking of getting a couple more hillstreams I wouldn't mind one the same colour as yours but have not seen any.

Last edited:

hineigger

AC Members
Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Usually brown algae occurs because of whats in your local water.

The reason is pops up in new tanks the worst is because thats when you added the most water, ALL of the water.

As long as you never do that again, and you only add a little water at a time to keep it topped off, you shouldnt get any visible brown algae, as there wont be much nutrients coming from the local water since you are adding so little at a time.

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Well I didn't know that, They say your never too old to learn :D thank's alot hineigger :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store