Algea Eater ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mykayel

AC Members
May 30, 2005
Can anyone ID this fish for me, the LFS just had it lable as an algea eater. Half of the time it is sucking on the glass or rocks, but it also sucks on the leaves of my plants. I don't think it has done any harm to my anacharis, but I think it is harming some other plants that I have just put into my tank that weren't the healthyest when I got them.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
I looked like a chinese algea eater, but those dont have spots on the tail and their heads are more rounded.

I'd have to agree with KissoftheGorami. it's a flying fox.

Watch out man, they get up to around 10" and when they get that big they'll suck the slime coat off of other fish in your tank. and stop eating algea.

hope that helps. if i were you i'd take it back to the lfs, and get a chinese algea eater if you like how the fox looks.

Biznatch

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
no that's a chinese algae eater, not a flying fox. Flying fox/siamese algae eaters don't have a sucker mouth. This one is probably bigger than most of the ones you have seen since they seem to get more colorfull around 3-4". It's a pretty terrible algae eater and gets very agressive. Mine would get in big battles with my RTBS and cause a lot of damage so I took him back. He also chased my other fish around. I would return him asap and get a bushynost pleco, they are very peacefull and much much better algae eaters.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
It looks a bit like an Oto to me, but is missing the diamond patch by the tail.

Last edited:

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Oto's aren't that big. I'm guessing around 3-4 inches in that picture. Chinese Algae Eater IMO. That's an awful algae eater to buy and eventually turns to eating fish. Kills and bullies others relaly badly.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Chinese Algea eater, they do have sucker mouths. Siamese and Flying fox do not have sucker mouths. Contrary to what has been said. Return that thing or you will have a little terrorist in the tank in no time.

icka

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
Indiana
i think if you keep him well fed then he will not terror the other fish... many people say once plecostomas gets so big they will definetly eat the other fish... mine is over 12" and is happy because i keep him and his pal very well fed.

Mykayel

AC Members
May 30, 2005
Thanks guys... they are definately CAE's, I'm going to look into something getting something else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store