ALL DWARF PUFFER OWNERS: Inside Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
I am getting ready to create a website dedicated to dwarf puffers: http://www.dwarfpuffers.com These little puffers have become very popular lately (especially with Petsmart selling them) and there is no all-in-one internet resource about them.... just various pages scattered throughout the internet. I would like to create a site where all dwarf puffer owners can have access to information on their little pets.

I am currently in the info-gathering stage and would like input from any and all dwarf puffer owners. Whatever tidbits you can offer as well as pictures and articles.... I mean ANYTHING that you can contribute. I am trying to make the site as comprehensive as possible. All who contribute will be given credit if their info, pictures or articles are used.

I also would like to just take a small survey if you guys don't mind filling it out... even if it's just part of it:

1. Where did you get your dwarves?

2. What size tank are they in? How many are in the tank?

3. What is the male/female ratio?

4. Fake plants or live plants?

5. What foods do you give them?

6. What tank mates do they have (if any)?

7. What tank maintenance do you perform?

8. What temperature and other water parameters do you maintain?

9. Any unique experiences you would like to share?

Also, feel free to e-mail me at: jeremy_read79@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone!!!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
petsmart

I had 3 in a 55 gallon, I know this seems to break some rules but these guys were different....they definiteluy made me recognize that there are extreme exceptions to every rule...i.e., some nippy, some not....definitely your proof that they have individual characteristics which vary from fish to fish.

1 male, 2 females.... they were all the very best of friends

fake and live, they loved to hide in the fake plants as they were very bushy. Whereever you saw one buzzing around the edge of a bush, the other 2 were just beyond.

frozen and live blood worms, frozen and live brine shrimp, and of course they cleaned my tank completely of any trace of snails brought in with the plants

I don't have them any more because of a crash of my tank but had them together for well over a year, closer to 2. They were with Angels, cories, a pleco, a RTS, and a danio.... I loved them and miss them very much....I haven't gotten any more because of the current stock in the tank now is complete and I'm afraid they will have competition over the snails with some skunk loaches I got after the tank was back up and running smooth

regular weekly water changes, gravel cleaning every other week

somewhere between 78 and 80 degrees F

as I mentioned earlier, this type has proven to me that these fish are definitely little characters that have their own personalitywhich varies from keeper to keeper. When they were swimming around the tank, they travelled in the group of three as well as at rest. No other fish bothered them and they didn't do the "nipping" thing they seem to be notorious for. When I advise about these guys I indicate that this behavior is an individual based characteristic and that they should be watched for it. They never bothered my angels but have heard horror stories of keeping them with angels nonetheless due to the angels laid back behavior and flowing fins.

Last edited:

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
could be that you stocked the 55 light enough that they had thier space and didn't feel the need to try to enforce that room they needed by nipping

jeffro426

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Petsmart also, hard to beat at .99 cents each!!

I have 3 of them in a 10 gallon planted

Honetly couldnt tell ya!

All live...various types, java fern, java moss, anubius, anarchis

Mainly frozen brine shrimp or snails if the LFS store has any

3 neon tetras and 1 otto

20% water changes once a week, and DIY CO2 changed out once a week also.

Temp about 76 or so, PH around 7.0 0 ammonia

These are really cool little fish and i highly recommend them to anyone looking for something with personality. I have them in my 10 gallon tank in my kitchen and all the guests in my house are always drawn to how cute they are. There really not very agressive but should be kept with quicker moving fish!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Originally posted by SnakeIce
could be that you stocked the 55 light enough that they had thier space and didn't feel the need to try to enforce that room they needed by nipping
that's true but I didn't know the nipping was because of territory, I thought they nipped because they were....... ya know?

CivicChick

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Westerville (Columbus), Ohio
Visit site
PetSmart....hmmm I think I see a trend...

I have 2 in a 5-gallon tank

I just recently got this current pair (the last pair died after an incident with the tank water), and they're still in their adjustment stage (meaning, they won't let me look at them yet :shake:), but if I had to guess I would say 1 male & 1 female.

Fake plants, but ones that provide good hiding places, & lots of them!

An endless supply of snails, as well as frozen blood worms. The petstore told me they fed them flake food as well, but they totally ignore it (this pair & the last ones)

4 juvenile guppies. They seem not to bother them at all. However, the guppies won't stop having babies (which the Puffers eat sometimes), & they get all excited about the bloodworms, too, so sometimes they eat them all before the puffers get any.....which is why I'm trying to find a new home for them! Also, there is a Chinese algae eater in there, and he gets along fine with the Puffers.

The water evaporates quickly, so every couple days I have to add some. But every 2 weeks or so I try to change 2 gallons of water, at which point in time I use a gravel vacuum. Other than that, the Puffers keep the snails at bay, and the alge eater keeps the waste manageable.

I use a heater to keep the tank at 76-80.

My new pair seems to stalk their food together, which really is quite a cute sight. Also, one from my last pair loved the sound of my electric toothbrush (the tank is in my bathroom), and would swim over to the side to watch me :D

Minty

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Canada
Visit site
At my local lfs for $12.99 each-Figure eight's

Two in a 20 gallon

How do I sex them?

Fake-silk

Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, snails and coral to file away at.

Chinese algae eater's and guppy fry. They have no interest in any of them.

Weekly partial water changes

Typically 80

They are super inquisitive and not scared of my fingers-mini pirahna's!

;)

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
civicchick- your tank is WAY too overstocked. Which would explain why you've already gone through a previous pair. If you want to keep the dwarfs you need to take all the other fish out of that tank or you're just going to keep losing puffers. The reason they're probably not comming out to see you or hiding when you come up to the tank is because the water quality isn't very good.

Sorry I don't mean to attack you, I just see that you've got some big issues that need tending too. 2 gallons changed every 2 weeks on a tank that small is BAD. Especially a 5g tank that has over 5" of adult fish size in it with at least 3 pretty aggressive fish.
When you're keeping aggressive fish the 1" per gallon rule doesn't apply, you need to put more of a 1/4" per gallon rule to it.

CivicChick

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Westerville (Columbus), Ohio
Visit site
Originally posted by CivicChick
which is why I'm trying to find a new home for them!

The water evaporates quickly, so every couple days I have to add some.
OK, first of all as you can see here, I'm trying to get rid of the guppies. I'm not just going to flush them down the toilet or something, nor will I spend $20 on a new tank until I can get rid of them, let let the tank sit in my basement. So if you know someone who wants them, great, let me know.

Second, the water evaporates very quickly. I'd twice a week I have to add a gallon of water. So how does this not count as replacing water? Current water evaporates out, I add new water in. Am I missing something???

As for the fish not coming out, I wrote this on Sunday & had just gotten the fish on Saturday night. They were still adjusting to their new home, & now they swim about freely when I'm in the room. I get the water tested every 2 weeks to make sure it's healthy, so this is not a problem.

I also don't understand how you get 5" of fish out of my stock? The puffers are both only about 0.5" (which makes 1"0, and the guppies each are between 0.5" & 0.75" (which makes 3-4"). The algae eater is bigger (maybe 2-2.5"), but the pet store & other info. I've read say that he doesn't count. So if I get rid of my guppies, how many puffers are you saying I should have in 5 gallons with the algae eater?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
FYI IMHO & IME you should use the maximum adult size of any fish for stocking purposes, and puffers in general need at least twice that minimum (usually much more) as they are chunky-bodied and extremely messy, plus they have a low tolerance for less-than-clean water.

Algae eaters DO count. They have mass, they use oxygen, they produce copious wastes. Again IMHO & IME, I also allow them MORE volume than their maximum size would suggest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store