Allergic to fish tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7thdog

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2021
Hey! I'm fairly new to the hobby! I have two fish tanks in my room, a 15 gallon and 30 gallon! I really enjoy taking care of them but I think I'm having a major issue. Whenever I'm in my bedroom I get bad symptoms of allergies. A runny nose, my eye gets irritated and it looks like I have pink eye, I cough a bit, and etc. Am I allergic to my fish tanks? I keep the tanks clean and do a water change weekly. My mom keeps saying that it's my fish tanks and I was wondering if anyone could help. I need to know if I am abd what would be the best thing to do for myself and the fish.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Hey! I'm fairly new to the hobby! I have two fish tanks in my room, a 15 gallon and 30 gallon! I really enjoy taking care of them but I think I'm having a major issue. Whenever I'm in my bedroom I get bad symptoms of allergies. A runny nose, my eye gets irritated and it looks like I have pink eye, I cough a bit, and etc. Am I allergic to my fish tanks? I keep the tanks clean and do a water change weekly. My mom keeps saying that it's my fish tanks and I was wondering if anyone could help. I need to know if I am abd what would be the best thing to do for myself and the fish.
Do you feed bloodworms? I’ve heard of people being allergic to those.

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Sorry to hear about the problem with allergies.

I agree with stop feeding blood worms, many people are allergic to them including me.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Welcome to the forum, but first and foremost, you should have your mother take you to a doctor! An aquarium forum is not the place to get a diagnosis of medical problems, if there are any doctors on the forum I'm sure that even they will decline to make a diagnosis. Only a medical doctor can diagnose and help you with whatever health issues you have!

That said, there are several infections that humans can possibly get from their aquariums. Here is a link: Aquarium Diseases Transmissible to Humans

I have had a Mycobacterium marinum infection myself one time. It took over two years and eight different antibiotics to finally kill the bacteria, and almost seven years more for my thumbnail to fully return to normal after the bacteria got underneath and it fell off. During that time I ended up needing my general family doctor and a dermatologist working in tandem to cure it, because I kept getting fungal and bacterial infections in the exposed skin where the nail should have been.

I don't want to discourage you from enjoying the hobby, and these are usually rare. In the end though, reread the first paragraph and act accordingly!

WYite

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maybe it's the 'rona?

Kidding! How long have the tanks been setup in your room and when did the symptoms start?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store