Amano death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I have lost 3 amanos in the past 4 days.
they had been in the tank for 2 weeks now

no issues with the painted fire red cherries

gh is 5 kh is 4

I think they are dying after molting. What can I do?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I have lost 3 amanos in the past 4 days.
they had been in the tank for 2 weeks now

no issues with the painted fire red cherries

gh is 5 kh is 4

I think they are dying after molting. What can I do?
I think your hardness is a little low for amanos. If I recall correctly, they need water around 8 dGH otherwise there isn't enough CaCO3 in the water to allow their shell to harden properly. I also think that they need a certain amount of Mg for a healthy exoskeleton as well. You might further explore along these lines.

WYite

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I think your hardness is a little low for amanos. If I recall correctly, they need water around 8 dGH otherwise there isn't enough CaCO3 in the water to allow their shell to harden properly. I also think that they need a certain amount of Mg for a healthy exoskeleton as well. You might further explore along these lines.

WYite
What about mine? I never seen pink amano :(

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice

WYite
would adding cuttlebone for them to graze on help or would it just be better to add ca?
I can get it at the brewing company I get my gas from.
will it raise the gh only or also the kh?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Actually I believe it’s caso4 at the brewery would that work also?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Okay. So the reason amano and ghost shrimp turn pink when they die is because they have pink or red pigments called carotenoids in their body. While alive, these pigments are covered by a chain of proteins that hide the color. When the shrimp dies, those proteins break down, exposing the red pigments and giving the dead shrimp a pink color. The same thing is why lobsters turn red when you cook them, because the heat breaks down the protein cover and exposes the carotenoids. And flamingos are pink because they eat a lot of shrimp and when the proteins break down after the birds consume the shrimp, the carotenoids are processed into the feathers of the flamingo. If you change a flamingo's diet the bird will gradually lose its pink color and become white.

As for the cuttlebone. I have always kept a chunk of cuttlebone in any tank in which I have ornamental snails or shrimp, to ensure there was enough calcium in the tank. I've seen snails and shrimp "grazing" on it. I also have hard water anyways, though. I've kept cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp, and I've never had a problem with losing shrimp unexpectedly and I've always had both breed regularly. I keep the cuttlebone in the tanks because it's recommended and I do it as a "best" practice type of thing. I don't know if adding cuttlebone will be enough or not for you though, Ice, to be honest. I just don't have enough experience with shrimp and since mine have always done well I never really explored the causes of problems much.

You also have to remember that most shrimp are fairly short-lived. I think amanos can live 4 or 5 years, though. Even if they weren't juveniles I'd expect them to live longer than two weeks, unless there was an underlying problem. Cuttlebone can't hurt IMO, but I won't guarantee it's the remedy you need.

WYite

Reactions: IceH2O and dudley

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Rather than increasing water hardness, or adding cuttlebone (just because it's darned ugly.. I try to use shrimp specific food that contains a source of calcium.

If you search around here for a snello recipe, that should work just fine too due to the powdered Tums that are added.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store