Amano shrimp consistently dropping eggs prematurely

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr. Spud Bud

AC Members
Mar 6, 2016
I have six Amano shrimp, two of which are females. About half a year ago they were developing eggs as normal. However, since then the females have not been able to keep the eggs in their swimmerets for very long. Sometimes I'll see the eggs under the females right after a molt, but by the end of the same day the eggs are gone (sometimes I catch them flicking the eggs off). I also haven't been seeing a lot of mating behavior, either. Does anyone have a solution to this? I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I dose Excel daily and the shrimp don't appear to be bothered by any other tank inhabitants.

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Amano shrimp can't successfully reproduce in freshwater. In the wild, the eggs are released and go downstream to brackish waters where they hatch. So...not really sure what you're expecting?

Mr. Spud Bud

AC Members
Mar 6, 2016
Amano shrimp can't successfully reproduce in freshwater. In the wild, the eggs are released and go downstream to brackish waters where they hatch. So...not really sure what you're expecting?
I understand that the larvae cannot survive in freshwater. My understanding is that the eggs hatch in freshwater, then the larvae travel downstream to saltwater, which is the process that I, as well as many others, have tried to replicate while raising the larvae. I have a separate saltwater aquarium where I've attempted to raise the larvae multiple times. My concern is that the females aren't holding on to the eggs long enough for them to develop enough to hatch into larvae, as they have in the past.

Last edited:

Mr. Spud Bud

AC Members
Mar 6, 2016
Aha. Check pH and hardness? Are they getting enough to eat?
pH is sitting at around 7.6. I actually don't have a hardness tester, but I plan on getting one soon. I supplement the Amano shrimp with sinking pellets every couple of days.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A few more females might help out as well--perhaps the males are getting aggressive with just the pair of females ans stressing them?

Mr. Spud Bud

AC Members
Mar 6, 2016
A few more females might help out as well--perhaps the males are getting aggressive with just the pair of females ans stressing them?
It seems possible, actually. Often times I see the males still chasing the females right after the eggs have been placed under the swimmerets. I'm not sure if this is causing the females to drop the eggs early. I've noticed that the females don't really do a lot of swimming for a day or two after moving the eggs to the swimmerets; do the eggs need time to "stick" to the swimmerets before the female is able to use them?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm certainly no expert, but that seems reasonable. It might be to give the eggs time to harden, or to adhere properly.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Going to be watching this thread. Breeding Amanos is something relevant to my interests.
The last post was over a yr ago not much to watch I'm afriad. Please be mindful of the dates on the threads you are replying to. Although I would totally be interested as to what happened with this project!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store