amano shrimp running nonstop for hours

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YD1

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2014
B"H

hello everyone,
since this afternoon i noticed 2 of the mail amano shrimp running all the time..
itt started this afternoon and when i came back much later, they are still running.

what is that behavior, is this sign of stress?

PS i have other 3 pregnant amano's females in that tank.

thank you
Yaron.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Have you added anything new to the tank recently?

What are your water parameters:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Gh
Kh

Apr 2, 2002
New York
They are hungry and searching for food. I was taught this by Rachel O'Leary of Inverts by msjinzd. I have a 75 gal planted tank with about 70 amanos. When they get hungry it is amazing to see then zipping all over the tank at the same time. They are whipped imnto a real frenzy.

One of my favorite things about amanos is that they like to eat alone and hate to share food. I guess it is because their buddies will steal a meal when they can. I will break Hikari Algae Wafers or kensfish sticks into smaller pieces and drop them into the tank, Then I watch the shrimp catch pieces mid-water or grab them off the substrate and try to swim off to where they can eat in piece. There is nothing funnier than watching an amano trying to lift a piece of food that weighs more that it does.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
They are hungry and searching for food. I was taught this by Rachel O'Leary of Inverts by msjinzd. I have a 75 gal planted tank with about 70 amanos. When they get hungry it is amazing to see then zipping all over the tank at the same time. They are whipped imnto a real frenzy.

One of my favorite things about amanos is that they like to eat alone and hate to share food. I guess it is because their buddies will steal a meal when they can. I will break Hikari Algae Wafers or kensfish sticks into smaller pieces and drop them into the tank, Then I watch the shrimp catch pieces mid-water or grab them off the substrate and try to swim off to where they can eat in piece. There is nothing funnier than watching an amano trying to lift a piece of food that weighs more that it does.
True, amanos are savage mean eaters. I saw my female amano steal a whole piece of de-shelled peas from the smaller male. They are fun little shrimp.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Amanos will also eat small fish, especially fry. I had a couple of bn plecos I parked in a heavily planted 10 gal tank. I also threw in some amanos. I turns out the two were a pair and they did what they will and spawned. I knew because I would see a bunch of fry. And then I saw fewer and fewer fry. Bn do not eat their young, that left the shrimp. One day I actually saw a big amano jump a bn fry and haul it away.

• Wow

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Amanos will also eat small fish, especially fry. I had a couple of bn plecos I parked in a heavily planted 10 gal tank. I also threw in some amanos. I turns out the two were a pair and they did what they will and spawned. I knew because I would see a bunch of fry. And then I saw fewer and fewer fry. Bn do not eat their young, that left the shrimp. One day I actually saw a big amano jump a bn fry and haul it away.
I know amanos can be little turds, but to that point? ?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Yes. I breed a few plecos. I know not to do two things. The first is no amanos where there are fry. The second is no assassin snails where there are eggs. Not all agree with this re assassins but my invert expert said she could not promise assassins would not eat eggs.

However, it is big amanos that do this sort of thing. Small amanos are not strong enough.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Yes. I breed a few plecos. I know not to do two things. The first is no amanos where there are fry. The second is no assassin snails where there are eggs. Not all agree with this re assassins but my invert expert said she could not promise assassins would not eat eggs.

However, it is big amanos that do this sort of thing. Small amanos are not strong enough.
My amanos might be a reason that many of my livebearer fry don't survive.
I'm getting cories tommorow and I might get 3-6 of them and breed them to get the number I want (9), depending on their price too.
I'm worried my amanos, shrimp in general, might eat the eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store