Amazon Swords

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I recently bought some new medium Amazon Swords with nice oval leaves on long stems. Within a week the new leaves were longer and more narrow with short stems. It also appears that the plant is not going to be very tall. Has anyone else noticed this? I have two other swords that started out with long and narrow leaves that have remained fairly short.

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
This is normal

2many

I posted this issue awhile back before they changed the forums. My sword plant I bought was the same way. The leaves were long stemmed and short round leafed. Then the new growth was more short stemmed and long sword like leafed.

From what people say is that where they grow these plants for LFS's are in green houses and the leaves grow out of the water and hense the rounder leaf vs the longer leaf. Correct me anyone if I am wrong on this? Just "Quoting" what others replied to my post...

I used to place root tabs in the substrate for them but I haven't for about a month now and its still shooting new growth like crazy... I use Co2 and fert 3 times a week so maybee that helps them out...

Hope this helped a bit..

Spankey

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes..that's true...most swords are grown out as hydroponic plants.(arial leaves are short and rounded).... When they start to grow in our aquariums, they grow leaves that are long and slender.. better suited for life underwater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store