American cichlid tank size help??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rubble19

Registered Member
May 7, 2020
Hi guys started making my plans for my aquarium upgrade I currently have a 55gallon grow out tank which is home to 8 juviniles,
1x jaguar
1x salvini
1x red terror
1x pearlscale
2x green terror
1x tiger oscar
1x Jack dempsey
They are all around 2 and half inch running fx6 with bio ultimate and large sponge filter my plan is to move these into either a 220 or 250 gallon just can't decide if I'd be better having a wider footprint say a 200cm x 80cm x 60cm or something higher than wider this is going to be my predator tank obviously these might take a turn on each other as they get older but have spare tanks in place incase this happens any thoughts would be grateful cheers

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Id opt for wider, personally. More horizontal space to establish territory, but im not overly versed on the cichlid groups

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The largest footprint is what you want. Height is not as important.

I'm sure you know this, but the mix you have will not work long term and is way too much for 55gal.

55gal isn't enough tank for a single oscar by themselves.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
i'd suggest a 125 at minimum, preferably after you get rid of half those fish.

Splendidus

AC Members
May 11, 2020
PREDATOR AQUARIUM

You have a predator tank. You can get away with 5 gallons per fish.
Taking in consideration aggressive maintenance (WATER CHANGES).
Bigger is obviously better. I'm thinking a 125 would be ideal. But I
also wouldn't shy away from a 55 gallon. Anything less in my opinion
would be asking for trouble.

I would also go with the one month rule. Introducing a species once
a month and letting the bio-load adjust. "Introduce fry to the aquarium."
there growth should or will adjust as time goes by. There growth being
stunted would be a good thing. ;)

Rubble19

Registered Member
May 7, 2020
Thanks for the replies.. So my fish arrived unfortunately the Oscar didn't make the trip so have ended up with and only 1 green terror arrived all fish seem to be active and happy although my festea seems to be aggressive towards everything else I will be upgrading tank within next month looking for something above 700litres preferably 1000l but struggling to find one at this precise moment. Also does anyone know if the festea is a male or female thinking maybe female from where the spot is in the tail and the stripes but colour hasn't come out yet so unsure..

DSC_1586.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store