Ammonia questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doolin94

AC Members
Feb 10, 2017
I just tested my water in the tank and it came up as 3ppm. There are fish in the tank. What are some ways to get it down other than a 25-30% water change. Out of the tap the water is .5ppm

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
No other way I really know of. Just WC.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
+1

Water changes are really the only way to go.

As far as your water out of the tap, try letting a sample sit out over night and then test it.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Prime can help. It binds the ammonia, creating ammonium, which is non-toxic. Still a short term fix (those ions can be stripped away, returning the ammonium to ammonia, depends on your pH). Polyfilter will also adsorb the ammonia.

Water changed will be best--and I wouldn't go with little ones. 25% won't make a significant difference. I would do a 50% water change, wait a couple hours, then do another one, and repeat until the levels test below 1.

Doolin94

AC Members
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if there was a better way to get the ammonia down. I'll do a water change today. All the fish do seem to be ok as of right now. I got a little freaked out when I first tested it since I'm new to all this

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's definitely a real worry. That level of ammonia causes gill burns, which a) open the fish to infections b) reduces oxygen intake, resulting in lethargy and loss of appetite. Overall, the fish might not look terribly sick right away, but in the long term, it's a serious problem. The longer they're exposed, the more damage that occurs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store