ammonia rise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

el wadd

Master of the Stupid Question.
Sep 26, 2006
uranus
The bacteria problem is no big deal, I used filter squeezings from my other tank.

I had about 20 platies in there. No fish overnite, usual heater running(I added another that I unplugged accidentally). I cleaned the cannisters yesterday, when I did the 75%.

Today I changed 50% and plugged in the heater correctly. There are no dead fish in there, my gravel barely covers the bottom of my tank.

I got a feelin star-rider is correct with the slight bacteria die-off post. The filter squeezins should repair that with the addition of fish right?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well if ya got filter squeezins yer all set.

do a water change add fish and somw squeezins and keep an eye on the tank.
these discus are a transfer?
use the filter squeezins from the tank the discus are coming from.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Can't you move the filters from the origional discus tank, as you move the discus?

el wadd

Sep 26, 2006
uranus
In the interest of clarification....I have 2 tanks, I have 10 discus. I'm splitting off 4 of them into a 112g that I previously kept 20 or so platies in(with the idea of moving some of the discus into it eventually. Well, "eventually" came, but I didn't consider the problem of heating all the new water. There's the problem. I already got rid of the platies, and couldn't just throw my discus into a freezing tank. I added another heater I had stored for just such an occaision, but somehow unplugged the heater!!

I got a couple nice looking 2.5" red spotted leopards in the 96g planted with my other discus, so I decided it was time to move the orange PB's into a different tank. They were a bit too aggressive for the lil guys. 4 discus in a 112g should be pretty happy with all the extra room.

I used squeezins from my cannister AND I scooped a cup of my gravel and threw it it in there for good measure.

Last edited:

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Most likely the bacteria die off was due to the cleaning of your canister filters. Most of your bacteria colonny is found in your filter media. If you have more than one filter on a tank you should clean them at different times to prevent a ammonia spike. Also adding a filter to a tank with water that has not been dechlored can kill your beneficial bacteria colony, not saying you did that. Just a heads up for ppl following this thread. Good luck. If you want to keep your old gravel seperate from your new substrate get a *new* unwashed pair of pantyhose cut a portion off and put some gravel in it. then you can dunk it up and down every hour or so for a day or two. this will keep it out off your new tank but allow bacteria to "seed" your tank.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Just keep a good eye on the parameters for the next week.

el wadd

Sep 26, 2006
uranus
thanks red dog....

el wadd

Sep 26, 2006
uranus
I transferred the fish. They were a bit skeptical at first, but as I type this, they are just finishing up a nice bloodworm feast.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
filter squeezins are plenty for getting bacteria to a new tank.

4 in the 112 is a bit skimpy ;)

I would add a few more ..(but that's me and discus like the company of other discus)

what are the plans for the tank?

el wadd

Sep 26, 2006
uranus
I plan on adding more over the next few months....the PB's were the heartiest of my pack, and therefore they get to move into the new digs. It was hard for the lil guys to get full at chowtime with the more agressive sub-adult PB's hogging and harassing everyone.

at the moment it is basically unplanted, boulders and some smaller bits of driftwood I'd pulled out of my other tank. I'm thinking about maybe adding 15-20 swords in pots for some mid tank cover. right now it's a bit spacious, and I know that these guys like to hang mid-tank in the weeds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store