ammonia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
i had some problems with my tank awhile back then had to reset up the whole tank again. the thing was that i kept my filter media so most of the bacteria should be still in the sponge right? but now is perhaps 2 weeks or so after the tank has been reset up but my ammonia reading has not gone down to totally 0 even after changing 50 % of the water every two days.

what is the problem and what else can i do? my ammonia reading now is around 0.6. thanks!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
When things don't make sense, I often check the kit. Have you got some distilled or RO water you can test?

Otherwise, have you got a big fish load?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the media sat in an empty tank for 2 weeks, there was no source of food and the bacteria died off. Food and oxygen, and water are 'must have's' to keep bacteria colonies active.

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
that was a fast reply! haha. thanks! well, mogumda, i had the same idea as you and went ahead to test my tap water. it gave a clear reading! so i really guess its my tank then. but orion girl the weirdest thing is that after resetting up my tank, the ammonia level when the new water was put in was still 0.6. apparently i didn't clean my gravel throughly. i left the tank to run for 4 days over hoping the bacteria in the filter would bring the ammonia level down but it didn;t. but my fishes will slowly dying in the smaller holding tanks that i had no choice but to transfer them back into the tank.

any help? thanks!

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
by the way its a two ft tank( around 45 litres plus) with an OTTO internal filter. there are 2 corys, 2 otto cats, 4 lampeyes and 5 neon tetras. these are the survivals of the great tank die-off.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
When you do large water changes with a chloramine/chlorine remover such as Amquel you will often get a positive ammonia reading. It is the result of transforming the chloramine into something less toxic that results in a bound form of ammonia that is not toxic to fish but will still provide food for bacteria.
good luck
:)

elmj

AC Members
Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
famman: i didn't know that! i did indeed use an anti chlorine by baxter labatories. could this be the case of my ammonia level of 0.6?

wetmanNY: thanks for your help. i shall keep doing 20% water change until one day they give me a 0 ammonia! :D

wetmanNY

AC Members
Further to famman's good points about AmQuel: sometimes on other boards I overhear folks warning each other away from AmQuel during cycling. famman's post should remind us that AmQuel is detoxifying the ammonia, for the health of the fish, but leaving it available, for the growth of the nitrifying bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store