Amphipod project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Ok, I have done some research and found that just having the live rock rubble, macroalgae and sand in the fuge is not enough to really get your pods to thrive. So, it appears that if I want the amphipods to really thrive I have to add ULVA (sea lettuce) macro to the fuge. Floats on the top and apparently the pods love to eat it and live in it.

I will post a pic when it comes, but right now I have 300+ amphipods for my tank and seems after about a week the are gone. Hope this addition helps.

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
Thanks for the info. I'm starting a ten gallon to breed some pods to up my population in my display. Where are you getting the lettuce? Feeding live pyto is expensive if your not growing it yourself. Look forward to your updates!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
BToast: I am getting the ULVA from Piece-of-the-Reef. I have ordered from Christine before and have been happy with the support and products I have gotten.

Reefscape: That isn't my photo. It also is from POTR. I don't have the ULVA yet, but when I do I will be sure to take a few shots.

QUESTION: Will the tiny brittle stars eat the amphipods? I thought they only eat the debris in the fuge????

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Ulva can also be found here. I ordered some shortly after we first started our reef tank. Between the tiny snails and the pods, the good size portion they sent me was consumed faster than it could grow. If I would have known better, I would have grown some of the Ulva outside the refugium in a separate tank to make sure I always had some. I haven't re-ordered any yet, but have been telling myself that I should. I guess other projects have just become more important in the meantime.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I think Indo-Pacific Sea Farms (IPSF) was one of the first to offer such a package, so it can also be found there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store