And so it begins...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
A new project! I haven't posted here in years, but I thought I would take the chance to make a build thread for my new paludarium. I am not exactly sure if it will be a palu and not a vivarium, but we will see I suppose! The tank is 32 gallons and there will be a small pond/stream feature. Lighting is a Giesemann HO T5 fixture 160 watts. I don't really plan on keeping any fauna, other than maybe some snails and killifish (if I cant resist acquiring some N. rachovii).

First day

:)
-Diana

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Progress... inspiration from this tank is mainly from Japanese-style planted aquariums. I want to keep it minimalist, which is why I opted out of doing a background.

Here is Day 1, after creating the terrain and adding substrate. I used river pebbles as the base, which are large enough to allow water movement and prevent stagnant areas. I decided not to do an eggcrate structure so I can more easily tear it apart and re-do if I want to (I like to reaquascape things :p).

The pebbles are supported in areas with pieces of petrified wood to prevent collapse. On top of the pebbles is a layer of dried (and re-moistened) moss, to prevent the peat from falling into the water. On top of the dried moss is a 1" layer of sphagnum peat.

The water depth is approximately 3". Stream feature is created using cork bark and a small fountain pump. There is also a heater. The heater and pump are hidden using a removable piece of wood. ( I think I will float duckweed in the back pool over the heater to cover it up further). I stuck in some plants that I had, not too sure of the names of them :eek:.

Day 3

Today I added the moss. I put in about 4 or 5 different types of moss growing locally in my neighborhood, just to see what types will do well in the light and warmth. I can already guess what will survive based on where I collected it, but I figured I would give the others a shot nonetheless. :)

I plan on adding also: a reddish colored air plant, venus fly trap, small orchid, and small bromeliad. Also I might silicone some turkey tails onto the back glass. If I can get some plants to grow in the blackwater that would be cool. Maybe a killifish or small aquatic frog in the future.

:)
-Diana

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
cool tank! Any of your CP your going to put in need a dormacy period?

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
CP= Carnivorous plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store