Anemones: What's the secret to keeping them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Most Anemones reproduce the cloning, they either split in half or fragment parts of themselves and the parts regenerate into a complete animal, so there is really no diffrence between captive raised and captive bred. However this does help keep wild populations on reefs intact.

pumpkin

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2005
I have in my 210 gal 3 mature and I could not tell you how many babies my thoughts are keep your salinity in the high range (mine is 1.0225) and stable parameters. Along those lines I have a calcium reactor that I would not give up for the world> And mine are 6 plus years old sorry I can't say 200

MarkLehr

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
I have to agree with Slipknottin on this. Honestly, I dont' even think the issue can be debated, as it has been tried and proven by the most experienced aquarists in the world. The hobby simply has not found a receipe for long term anemone success. A few isolated cases, or the occassional experienced hobbyists keeping a speices alive for 5 or 6 years, is not success. These are animals that have no natural life span. Biologists estimate they live for over 200 years, but there is no natural aging process which occurs that has been identified.

The best comparison we have is to think about a tree. You would certainly not buy a tree and plant it in your backyard if the most experienced people in the world were only able to keep the tree alive for 8 to 10 years. We would leave the tree in its natural environment and not try to replicate the conditions it needs in an artificial environment. We have no idea what a natural life span of a tree is.

The exact same situation is occuring with anemones. It is irrelevant that anemones are being aquacultured. Nobody is suggesting than an anemone can not be healthy in captivity. Fact remains that it will not remain healthy over a long time span.

Last edited:

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Both of mine are doing well after almost 7 months. The BTA was a little bigger than a golf ball when I got it. Now it spans almost a foot. That's about an 18 inch range from the base. Needless to say it's about outgrown my 36. I've had to move all of my corals and transfer some to my nano. I wouldn't put one in anything smaller than a 90. That's probably going to be my next upgrade. I feed mine minced clams soaked in Selcon plus whatever food the Clown brings them, and that's quite a bit!

Mine was a clone that I got in a local trade. The guy I got mine from has had the same one for almost 10 years.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I don't think condies reproduce by splitting. They will get big though around the size of a basket ball or larger. There are numerous anemones that have been raised in reef tanks for generations sometimes. They also tend to be much hardier than their wild caught cousins.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Technically all Anemones can reproduce by splitting, however its very hard to keep constant prestine conditions for them to do it, which is why alot wont reproduce by splitting in an aquarium, its also why they tend to live short lives in captivity compared to wild populations which can live over 100 years, and even the smaller anemones can grow to be monsters over the long term.

carpenterwrasse

AC Members
May 2, 2005
pittsburgh pa
Hello all i'm George. Being new to this forum i have a lot of catching up to do. I have been a sw novice for many years and have had some not so good luck with my anemones I had an awesome LTA a few years back that was great until i had to move the tank it had a maroon clown and was fine I have a 75 gal tank with a jali pc with 4 55 watt bulbs. I have a colony of button polyops some unhappy shrums 2 flower anemones that are not doing poorly but my bulb anemone is not happy either. it moves on occations but it doesn't have the alive look when it came in the box from mail order. I am in the planning stages for a complete tank overhaul and lighting upgrade to the orbit with lunar lights. will be changeing water flow inside with a couple of scwd's and some extra p.h.'s My sump is going to change also but i haven't finalized the set up yet and would enterain any and all suggestion on how to improve it. It is a 20 gal high with a diy wet dry with bioballs and a berlin skimmer. any and all will be great.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hmm, I'd say a lot of your problem may be the lighting you use . Is your bulb ,"bubble tip?", moving around all the time do they look pale? I'd say they are probably a little bleached so fwiw I'd upgrade the lights to 6,500- 10,000 K halides. Also tell us a bit more about your tank because if the shrooms ain't happy most other inverts won't be either. What is your substrate what are your water readings? I'd also loose the bio-balls on that note adn just use l.r. ,"live rock", for filtration and extra food for the anems.
I'll make a little list that will help us help you.
How much l.r. do you have. how old are your bulbs what is the turn over in you tank. what sort of fish do you have and most importantly what are your readings.
hth and welcome to a.c.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store