Angel Fry Dieing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That is not a form of cycling. It may help accelerate cycling, but it is most assuredly not a form of cycling.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I may chime in here.

the biggest issue with young angel fry .. particularly at early development.

Bacteria, while having a sufficient bio filter is good you must also realize that other bacteria that may be harmful to early dev fry are also in the water. they do not have a very good immune system and can be very susceptible to bacterial infection. in may cases large water changes with aged water is used and done daily 50% plus ..it is very important to make sure all uneaten foods are removed from the grow out /incubation tank.
keep in mind that it is important that the water used in aging have sufficient circulation.
H202 is an oxidizer and will kill bacteria. however, using it in aged water you must make sure the H2O2 has been neutralized before adding it to the main tank. uthmal is correct.. it will kill any beneficial bacteria as well.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Angels overnight on the bottom, so any fry raising container needs to be very clean on the bottom glass. This is one of the reasons why it is especially important to vacuum uneaten food. When I raised angels (and I did not do it for long as 4-500 babies was way too many per spawn) I did not begin to feed anything non live until about day 10. This helped to precvent fouling the water and bottom.

I have always used methylene blue to prevent fungus on eggs and was taught to remove it as soon as I saw wigglers. I was told it can damage young gills.

There is a pretty good article on angelfish by Cindy Hawley which has a good section on how to raise eggs away from parents using a big jar http://fins.actwin.com/articles/freshwaterangels.php

Limited penetration of inhibitors into biofilms has been widely observed in previous investigations (de Beer et al., 1994; Stewart et al., 2001; Stewart et al., 2000; Xu et al., 1996). In those reports, the concentration profiles of hydrogen peroxide or chlorine in biofilms were directly measured with microelectrodes and limited penetration of the biocides into the biofilms was demonstrated. This phenomenon could be explained by several mechanisms: diffusional resistance of the biofilm matrix (Costerton et al., 1987), neutralizing reaction of the inhibitors with the biofilm constituents (van der Wande et al., 1989), adsorption of the inhibitors onto the biofilm constituents, and degradation of the inhibitors (Antizar-Ladislao and Galil, 2003).
Other research shows the effect of HP on autotrophic nitrifiers appears to depend on the amount and duration of the exposure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store