Angelfish acting weird?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Briana102936

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2019
I’m very new to taking care of fish and could use some help.
I started out with 2 mollies about 3 days ago and one of them got tail rot a day later so I took him back yesterday and got a healthy mollie. While I was there I bought an angelfish. After cleaning the tank and putting bacteria stuff in the water I introduced the 2 new fish to the tank. Right away the new Mollie took to the tank really well. The angel on the other hand wouldn’t eat the flakes so I figured he just needed more time to get used to the new tank. I waited it out and he still wasn’t eating so I figured that the water at the top of the tank was too hot so I turned the lamp off for about 5 1/2 hours then came back to look at him. He was sitting at the bottom of the tank and was running in to everything in the tank. I figured he was weak from not eating so I put some flakes and he didn’t move. I turned the light back on for the tank and watched him for a while and now he’s swimming up at the top but still not coming up for air. There hasn’t been any signs of the mollies bullying him. Does he just need more time to get adjusted? Thoughts?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you have a test kit? & what does it say?

I think your tank is not cycled. Please read the "sticky" at the top of this forum about it.

You likely need to do daily large water changes (50% or more) until your tank is happy (ie: cycled). Any ammonia or nitrite is harmful to fish. Water changes will help them survive for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store