Angelfish feeler

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garyroach

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
My angelfish has lost a feeler. This appendage probably has a more approriate name. But, it's one of the two long "feelers" on the lower front. The feeler was damaged when I bought the fish and has fallen off. Will the fish regenerate another feeler to replace the one lost or will it be a uni-feeler for the rest of it's life? Thanks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
those are the ventral fins.

in most cases they grow back..but usually not the same as before.
they will typically break these off from time to time.

zoowks

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Orlando
depends where the ventral fin fell off, there is actually a bone in the fin and if it that part broke off it'll prob be a unifin, if not it should grow back and as the person above said may or may not grow back the same. as an aside oft when the ventral fin is broken, or bent some people choose to trim the fin back to near the bone or above the bent part so that the fin may regrow properly

Radar

Thought is free.
May 26, 2007
Kentucky
One of my big angels broke close to 2 inches of his ventral fins off several months ago and now you can not even tell which one he broke. He should be O.K.

garyroach

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
depends where the ventral fin fell off, there is actually a bone in the fin and if it that part broke off it'll prob be a unifin, if not it should grow back and as the person above said may or may not grow back the same. as an aside oft when the ventral fin is broken, or bent some people choose to trim the fin back to near the bone or above the bent part so that the fin may regrow properly
It looks like it might be broken next to the body of the fish. But, the part that completely broke off was about half way down the fin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store