Angelfish in dire need!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Well all my fish seem to have made a full recovery from the Ich except my Pleco. The amount of white spots on his body does not seem to be going down. I still have the temp up and the salt content high. Why is the pleco the only one still affected?

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
He is still affected because he is closest to the substrate. Up the salt a little and see if it helps!!

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Did you ever raise the salt over the 0.1% level (1 teaspoon per gallon)? I would have gone for at least 0.2% and even 0.3% as long as it is slowly raised over the course of a few days... day 1 raise it up to 0.1%... day 2 to 0.2% and day 3 up to 0.3% but stopping the level if the fish ever show excessive stress due to the salt. The salt will bother them less than the Ich.

UpstateNYer

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Antwerp, NY 13608
Real Name
Ric Letson
Agreed on upping the salt a bit more. Also, the pleco may be affected more by the ich just because he's got one less avenue of defense. The other fish have scales where the pleco has just his skin & slime coat. It always seems that Ich has a much easier time infecting scaleless fish.

Also keep in mind that you need to continue treatment even after the obvious signs of ich are gone.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Yes I've kept adding salt daily as long I see that the fish do not seemed stressed out by it. He sees to be getting better, but I hope it hurries up. I've been treating with high heat and salt for over a week now. Will this become stressful for the fish the longer it takes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store