Angelfish w/ ich and struggling to swim

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

underbrella

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2019
29g with five emerald corys and one marbled angelfish. Tank is cycled, has been running for several months. Temperature is usually maintained at 78 degrees, pH 7.0.

This is my first angelfish (or cichlid of any kind). I just picked it up last Saturday. The tank it was in had no other fish with ich or any deceased fish. However, the day after introducing it into my tank, there were white dots around its tail. Not very many, but obviously ich. It still ate. The next day, it didn't eat, but was otherwise acting normal (as far as I could tell; no scratching or rubbing). I began to gradually increase the temperature of the tank. It's now at about 84 degrees. Haven't used any salt or medication yet.

Today, it didn't eat either. When I got home, I noticed that I was just hanging at the top of the tank. Didn't really seem to be gasping or opening/closing its mouth more than normal, and I should have enough aeration. Then maybe an hour later, I noticed it had turned upside down. Still alive. It was leaning on one of the leaves of an anubias I have near the surface, but it eventually got unlodged from it and kinda floated sideways down. When it tried to swim back up, it was still sideways, like it's having issues with its swim bladder (something I've haven't had to deal with before). Right now, it's kinda sitting on a piece of wood upside-down.

The temperature has only been increased for a day or two. I have no idea what's wrong or how to help it. Could someone please help? I hate seeing it like this.

underbrella

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2019
29g with five emerald corys and one marbled angelfish. Tank is cycled, has been running for several months. Temperature is usually maintained at 78 degrees, pH 7.0.

This is my first angelfish (or cichlid of any kind). I just picked it up last Saturday. The tank it was in had no other fish with ich or any deceased fish. However, the day after introducing it into my tank, there were white dots around its tail. Not very many, but obviously ich. It still ate. The next day, it didn't eat, but was otherwise acting normal (as far as I could tell; no scratching or rubbing). I began to gradually increase the temperature of the tank. It's now at about 84 degrees. Haven't used any salt or medication yet.

Today, it didn't eat either. When I got home, I noticed that I was just hanging at the top of the tank. Didn't really seem to be gasping or opening/closing its mouth more than normal, and I should have enough aeration. Then maybe an hour later, I noticed it had turned upside down. Still alive. It was leaning on one of the leaves of an anubias I have near the surface, but it eventually got unlodged from it and kinda floated sideways down. When it tried to swim back up, it was still sideways, like it's having issues with its swim bladder (something I've haven't had to deal with before). Right now, it's kinda sitting on a piece of wood upside-down.

The temperature has only been increased for a day or two. I have no idea what's wrong or how to help it. Could someone please help? I hate seeing it like this.
Never mind. He passed away.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That's pretty much end phase. It was a sick fish--I'd take it back, and find somewhere else to shop. Also monitor your cories--they are less likely to get ich, but it's still possible and they are difficult to treat.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. Agree. This was a sick fish when you got it. I've had my LFS replace or reimburse me for similar incidences.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store