Angelfish?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

65gal

Registered Member
Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
I have a 75 gal tank and I have two angelfish among others but I was wondering if I got lucky in that I might have a male and female because they are always swimming together where one goes the other goes. Is this because they are the opposite sex or because they are the only two angels????
thanks

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
It may be just because they are two angels. It could be because they are opposite sex....... mine tend to hang together closely together, and spawn regularly, though still haven't lost the habit of devouring the eggs. It's not unusual though for two of the same sex angels to go through the spawning ritual.

How big are the angels? How big/old are they? Did you recently get them?

While spawning, you can usually tell the sex of the angels by the "tubes" that sit behind their feeler fins (the long ones on the bottom) or what's called the "papilla. On the female, the papilla is larger than on the male, more blunt.

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ah, they are just babies yet. If you can't see their papilla (which may be the case due to their size4 as of yet) on their bottoms, they are too small to decipher yet. Because they are so small, I'd say it's likely they stick together because they are both angels in a big world (your tank). Give it time, let them grow, you will be able to decipher whether one or both is male/female soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store