Another Newbie here...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sheaffel

AC Members
Nov 6, 2019
Hi fellow aquarists,
I am sooo new to this hobby, but already hooked at just 6 wks in, and learning so much! I now realize that I should have done a lot of reading before I ever got started, but it's a little late for that now. I set up my 1st tank (a 55 gallon on October 2nd). I have 11 fish that are all doing well as far as I can tell...lol. I had 2 more that died before I knew anything about what I was doing, and one that disappeared??? No losses over the last few weeks and the water is finally right. I have been changing the water (about 20%) every 4 days ... I figure I can back off on that now to about once a week? I have one Cory catfish, 3 glofish and some mollies. I would like to add a couple more fish that are compatible and would love some suggestions. Thanks in advance

20191025_120455.jpg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Hi and Welcome to the forum!!!

Can you post your water test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and which brand and type test kit you are using?

Did you use mature filter media to cycle this tank, a bottled bacteria or nothing at all?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just to add to Dee's advice, I see you have test strips? That's a very good start and good on you for doing water changes and testing!

I'd mail-order an API master test kit for $20-30. It will last you years and tends to be more accurate than strips.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That's already so colorful why even put fish in ;) No seriously you should get more cories of that same species, they are very social fish that need to be in schools of at least 6.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The problem with cories in this tank is the substrate really isn't suited for them.

Reactions: Sheaffel

Sheaffel

AC Members
Nov 6, 2019
Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I am just now seeing them for the 1st time today. After I finally got my water just right, according to my new API test kit, I messed up by following the directions of the filter Box and I threw away the media inside and put in new media, not realizing that I just threw away all my beneficial bacteria.ugh... So now I'm back to frequent water changes and waiting for the good bacteria to come back to its former level. I really should have done a lot more research before I started this project but I did so I can only move forward now. The good news is that all of my fish are still alive and I wish I had known about the Cory and the substrate in advance, but I own him now and he seems to be doing OK. The bright side is that I have been reading about fish every day since I started this, and I'm learning a lot of things. I do have one neon glow fish that is very thin and has little appetite, but all of the other fish are very energetic and look healthy. I also have a few that appear to be pregnant.

Sheaffel

AC Members
Nov 6, 2019
That's already so colorful why even put fish in ;) No seriously you should get more cories of that same species, they are very social fish that need to be in schools of at least 6.
Don't want to get any more corys because I found out after the fact that I have the wrong substrate;(

Sheaffel

AC Members
Nov 6, 2019
Hi and Welcome to the forum!!!

Can you post your water test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and which brand and type test kit you are using?

Did you use mature filter media to cycle this tank, a bottled bacteria or nothing at all?
The problem with cories in this tank is the substrate really isn't suited for them.
You are correct and unfortunately I learned that after the fact;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store