another question from me. about clean up crews.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bchbm2022

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
ok so right now i have have sand and half crushed coral because im in the process of switching out my crushed coral for sand. Can anyone recommend a good clean up crew for my 36 gallon tank? After im done with the sand and let bacteria and stuff repopulate i want to get a clean up crew. also, can anyone give me tips on how to care for them because i tried some hermits and snails in the past and have been unsuccessful. I know you need to drip acclimate for about 2 hours. I have been on top doing weekly water changes to get my nitrates down and I bought a rena filstar filter. I would get a sump but i dont have the space. I no longer have ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite problems like I used to. I have 4 damsels and i dont plan on getting anymore fish, even though my tank is lacking color.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Tigertail cucumbers are good for eating fish poop and sand sifting stars are good as well...I have both along with hermits, snails, an emerald crab and my orange spotted goby which all work nicely together.

dilbert

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
Yorkshire (UK)
Avoid to buy to much of them as they can turn themselves against each other when the first algae blooms are over and food is scarce and territories small.

Every tank can be different and look if it's more algae or detritus and where it pops up, on the sand, the glass, the rocks. The glass you can often clean yourself better than any snails will do.
Then select the species with regard that only some snails are truly herbivorous.
Hermit crabs are the most universal ones, maybe. They eat algae on the rock and evertyhing else that looks edible.

I got only one lonely hermit in my pico where algae are almost inexistent. So, I feed this guy once a week. Two of them would only raise the bioload just for fun and maybe that would let grow algae in that tank.
:grinyes:

Take in account that almost with every liverock come worms and pods, too. They eat at least left over food and detritus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store