Another salvini question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
This is my first time owning salvinis. I was going to re-do their tank to bare bottom or just a little gravel but there has been a change in their appearance and behavior and I don't want to drastically change things for them right now. That and the black algae or whatever it is has been reduced to manageable levels.

They have definitely bonded. The female has donned her bright yellow color and they follow each other everywhere. The question I have is this. The male is much larger than her but he only shows a slight lightening in color and very faint bands on his face occasionally. She is still small 2 1/2 to 3 inches. I was wondering if maybe she's just still too small? She has none of the red showing that I typically see on salvini breeding videos. Anyone know if this is likely?

Oh and another question. Will she remain yellow when she's not breeding?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just an FYI, there are about 5-7 different places where Salvini are found in Mexico. Each is a little different in color, some more yellow, some more red, ect. There is not just "ONE" Salvini in the market, so hard to tell, unless we know exactly where that Salvini came from. In the hobby they have probably been mixed, but there are still many wild ones coming in all the time.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Thanks. I didn't know that though it doesn't surprise me. So many fish have local variants. I did find some info on Badman's page that kind of confirms my guess though. I've seen no mention anywhere about salvinis that are completely void of red and at least one comment about juveniles not getting red. So I'll wait and watch. It's pretty amazing the way the color is changing on these fish. The little female was getting a little lighter and washed out looking for a week or two then overnight she was super bright yellow with the black lateral markings and a kind of bluish glow around her face. Presently the male is occasionally getting that washed out look and the bars across his face are showing faintly. Usually when he and the female journey out into the open and blatantly flirt and flare. I'm glad I didn't have room for Freddy cichlids. These are the most fascinating fish I have ever kept!

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Salvinis are a great and colorful fish. I have not had them for many/many years. I loved them, they were so colorful and fully of fun.

Good Luck with them.

Reactions: Finster

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Well, this is unexpected. Was watching them flirting out in the open and the female went over to the front of the driftwood where she used to hide in a crevice when she was a little smaller. That's the spot she chose to start spawning! They've been at it for a couple of hours now. I still can't believe it. The male is not even colored up yet although he is a little paler with the hints of facial bars and just the faintest hint of red on his belly.

Was going to do a water change. Guess I'll put that off now!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
They are done spawning. About 4 1/2 hours start to finish. The male's colors still aren't spectacular but you can definitely tell that the base color is yellow and his belly and anal fin are red. The girl's anal fin is reddish now and if I look closely I can see the reddish tint to her belly.

She is being very diligent about caring for her eggs, fanning them and even chasing the male to the far end of the tank. She's small but very spunky! He protests once in a while and when he charges her he pushes with his closed muzzle. When she gets ticked at him she nips!

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Congrads!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store