Another salvini question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Papa's hard to catch but managed a couple pictures of him.

And here he is with the female.

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I had a breeding pair a number of years ago. Easily one of my all time favorites. Love em.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That seems pretty normal for cichlids, the girls may be smaller but IME it's males that need some learning before they are good parents. Your female may be able to carry the entire breeding thing alone.

Congrats, she seems to be on her good parent behavior, good luck!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Looks like this clutch is a bust. Eggs disappeared after 3 days. I read 5 days to hatch so I don't believe she hid wigglers. Odd though. She's still hanging out in the same spot and the male is out in the open on the other end of the tank.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Looks like this clutch is a bust. Eggs disappeared after 3 days. I read 5 days to hatch so I don't believe she hid wigglers. Odd though. She's still hanging out in the same spot and the male is out in the open on the other end of the tank.
Well it looks like I spoke too soon! I guess she moved the eggs? I don't know. Could they have hatched in 3 days at 78 Fahrenheit? Late last night I was doing a water change and I saw the swarm of free swimming fry! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Hard to judge even though they are getting some size but it looks like I have about 30 maybe a little more decent sized fry. They're swimming in every part of the tank and Momma and Papa are still watching out for them. It's going to be a real effort to catch them all out. I'm planning to put them all in a 20 gallon long and put an add on Craig's List next week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store