Anubias Nana taking over!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
My Anubias Nana in my 29 gallon has totally taken over my driftwood. It has flowered 3 times in the last 6 months. I would love to cut it back but haven't a clue how. Any info would be of great help.

Also, since I'm here... My Cryptocoryne Luteas has grown huge since I've had it in my tank for 3 years. I want to reposition it in my tank as it is smashed up against the glass atm but I know the roots will be all over the tank. What is the best way to do this without totally disrupting my substrate?

Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I believe for the anubia, you can nip off individual leaves at the stem, close to the rhizome. On the crypts, you'd have to gently dig out a section of it. I've got both of these plants as well. Very jealous on your anubia nana growth! I've got bunches that are 4yrs old and barely softball sized.

Reactions: Evanleigh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want to reduce the overall size of the anubias, cut across the rhizome and remove the cut off bit of plant.

as for the Crypt, Diane Walstad recommended at last year's AGA convention to put a cookie cutter around the rosette of the plant then pushing it down through the substrate to leave most of the roots behind. Sounds to me that might work the best. :)

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I believe for the anubia, you can nip off individual leaves at the stem, close to the rhizome. On the crypts, you'd have to gently dig out a section of it. I've got both of these plants as well. Very jealous on your anubia nana growth! I've got bunches that are 4yrs old and barely softball sized.
I'm not sure if the Anubia Nana just loved the wood it was planted on or if it was because I bought it on line (AquariumPlants.com) instead of the LFS/Petco or the nutrient enriched water, but I was very excited when it grew it's first flower! I bought other Anubia at Petco for other tanks but they def aren't growing as fast as these.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
If you want to reduce the overall size of the anubias, cut across the rhizome and remove the cut off bit of plant.

as for the Crypt, Diane Walstad recommended at last year's AGA convention to put a cookie cutter around the rosette of the plant then pushing it down through the substrate to leave most of the roots behind. Sounds to me that might work the best. :)
I didn't realize this genus of Crypt would get so big. When I bought it the site claimed it was for front to middle of aquarium. Anyway, it seems like the cookie cutter method might just be the optimal way for the Crypt at this point. Thank you.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I had anubias like that once, it was wonderful!! They say you can cut the rhizome and get several "new" plants from anubias but IME the older portions always died, maybe that's just me though. Keep in mind that whatever method you use to move the crypt it will probably melt back after transplant. I think the cookie cutter idea is great for ease of moving but might create more melting as that large plant adjusts to having much fewer roots.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think Jen has it right, snip off the oldest rhizome & leaves. It'll be healthier & less likely to get bba. Although I had some a. nana floating in my QT that grew very well. It seemed to branch & grow like crazy I ended up pitching it all (sniff) when my tank became incurably diseased. It was hard to do but needed.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store