Any carpenters out there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serj

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NC
Visit site
No, this isn't a tank building question :cool:

I'm currently renovating a large 'basement' room. Most of the sheetrock is up, mudding is at a standstill because I've decided that I want to do a....err, unique thing with the walls ( all are sheetrocked, one is painted grey brick). I plan to make a stucco or a faux stucco finish on the walls. I haven't found much 'method' or tips for using real stucco indoors. As for faux stucco, all that really involves is laying down layers of joint compound in stucco fashion.

Nothing too complicated. But I have my heart set on setting up a large cichlid tank in this room (125-200g) and that would add a healthy bit of moisture to it's relative area, and the whole room in general I would suppose. Would stucco or the psuedo-stucco compound withstand the moderate levels of humidity that a tank would give off? I didn't think of it too much at first, but this is a serious problem ( if there is a problem).

Any and all advice is welcome ;) Thanks.

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
there are many synthetic stuccos that are available that are even rated for outdoor use. they are, however, slighty pricey ( i think about $4 a square foot). i wish you the best of luck with your renovations

dpmac10

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Nebraska
Visit site
u could paint the stucco with some kind of water resistent paint then it would with stand the moisture.

Serj

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NC
Visit site
Yeah, I've been wondering if a good coat ( or couple) of an anti-moisture finish would do the trick.

What's that pre-made synthetic stucco? I haven't seen or heard of it. But at $4 a foot, I'd easily run a couple hundred dollars with the size of the room. I'll keep my eyes out for it though, thanks.

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
ok. i found the website for the stuff: www.dryvit.com turns out the stuff is completely waterproof, so you won't have a problem with your humidity issue. it is available in many colors and even finishes, so you aren't limited at all. also, you should be able to ask who will do this at any good lumberyard or building supplier. hey, estimates are usually free:) hope this is helpful.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
For under $200 you can get a dehumidifier. Just a suggestion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store