Any experience with the Marineland C-530 canisters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
My two 20+ year old Rena XP2s are finally giving up the ghost. Came home on Friday to a puddle on the floor and a slow drip out of the power cord hole. It looks like the motor seal is failing and letting water into the head of the unit. They're way too small for my 210gal anyway, so before the second one also fails, I ordered two of the C-530 canisters to replace them. Anyone have experience with them? How do you like them? Rbishop Rbishop I know you've been a Marineland canister fan for a long time, any thoughts?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't have experience with the C-530, but I have had my Mareinland C-360 going solid since 2013. I open it for a cleaning about every 4 months and it gets powered down/up every week for water change in that tank. I've got all the original seals in it still.

Reactions: Sploke

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sweet...looks like they'll be delivered today, so hopefully I can make some time tonight for setup, at least on the first one. I'll replace the one XP2 that's already down, run the new canister for a week or so to get it cycled, then replace the other XP2.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice! On my C-360, I ordered more of the coarse black sponges back when I bought the filter. I run the coarse sponge in the first 3 trays and bio media in the top / 4th tray.

I think the reason I bought the C-360 back then through Drs Foster and Smith was they were running a sale on it and I got it for $79. Definitely worth it!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was on the fence between the Sicce Whale 500, the C-530, and the Fluval 407. I really liked the Whale, but was concerned that two of them weren't going to be powerful enough for a 210gal. The C-530s were on sale through Chewy for $175 ea, so more powerful and cheaper than the Fluval as well. I'm going to have to rearrange some stuff under the tank to fit them but I think they will do the job nicely.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The only think I think I'm going to have to modify is the intake pipe...it seems pretty short and I'll want at least one of them near the bottom. The tank is 30" tall, so I'm going to have to figure out how to extend it downward.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I was on the fence between the Sicce Whale 500, the C-530, and the Fluval 407. I really liked the Whale, but was concerned that two of them weren't going to be powerful enough for a 210gal. The C-530s were on sale through Chewy for $175 ea, so more powerful and cheaper than the Fluval as well. I'm going to have to rearrange some stuff under the tank to fit them but I think they will do the job nicely.
Yeah, there's so many choices these days. You sure can't beat Chewy's prices. Also can't beat anything made by Sicce. My Seachem Tidal 110 HOB has a sicce pump in it. That part of it is flawless for sure. I've had the tidal going for about 5yrs now.

I still gotta say, if your budget allows, the Oase Biomaster line of canisters is where it's at. I believe they've got sicce pumps in them.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The 530 is a monster of a filter, IMO. I agree, the intake pipe is a bit too short and will require an extension for deeper tanks. I have 6 of them operating for 4 plus years without any issues.

Reactions: Sploke and Sprinkle

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The 530 is a monster of a filter, IMO. I agree, the intake pipe is a bit too short and will require an extension for deeper tanks. I have 6 of them operating for 4 plus years without any issues.
Fantastic, that's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store