Any one own an e- reader? noon vs. kindle 3

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
oops ment nook,..lol sorry i'm very tired

just as the title says i want to buy one for my daughter mainly and the rest of us could use it,..
she is in 11th grade and taking some college classes there and is also a book worm,..
and thought this would be nice to not have to lug 3-4 books in her purse as she reads more than 1 at a time.

also it can come in handy for college by not having to buy and carry around those text books,..

now which one????????

i leaning twards kindle 3 for good reasons,.. but i have read all the pros and cons of each and still think kindle is the way to go so far,.. but then i have questions of whether or not to get 3G or not,.. ( we are in what they want to call slower 3G area just where the house is) but i have wifi in house,.. and rest of our area is high speed,..

since i don't know much about these new devices of what they can and cannot do,.. vs say a tablet plus e-reader,..

any one with one want to chime in i'd love to here from techies plus owners of them,..
since all i know about any of these are what i can google up about them,..
please answer in laymens terms as i'm not to computer lingo savy.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
http://ireaderreview.com/2010/04/24/kindle-vs-nook-review-2010/

dont own one.... when the kindle first came out i used it and it was very nice. they say with the nook you can try it out. the kindle is cheaper.

i find a lot of wifi hotspots around me so if i needed something i could get on to update. personally if it was me i would pick the cheaper one with out 3g.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
not sure, i know b&n have teamed with penn state so i have been told by some one who went a few years ago,
said most but the math was there,..

but my girl is still in high school.
i'm just trying to prepair for a forgetful daughter that perhaps her correct book may be downloaded and have it in her purse,.. to keep her from having to lug heavy books around all day

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Kindle for sure. I bought my girl a K2 a couple of years ago and recently upgraded to the K3. She is an avid reader (2-3 books/week) and is lost without her Kindle. It's a portable library. Try carrying around 1500-2000 paper books everywhere you go. ;)

russellah

Registered Member
Oct 7, 2010
oops ment nook,..lol sorry i'm very tired

just as the title says i want to buy one for my daughter mainly and the rest of us could use it,..
she is in 11th grade and taking some college classes there and is also a book worm,..
and thought this would be nice to not have to lug 3-4 books in her purse as she reads more than 1 at a time.

also it can come in handy for college by not having to buy and carry around those text books,..

now which one????????

i leaning twards kindle 3 for good reasons,.. but i have read all the pros and cons of each and still think kindle is the way to go so far,.. but then i have questions of whether or not to get 3G or not,.. ( we are in what they want to call slower 3G area just where the house is) but i have wifi in house,.. and rest of our area is high speed,..

since i don't know much about these new devices of what they can and cannot do,.. vs say a tablet plus e-reader,..

any one with one want to chime in i'd love to here from techies plus owners of them,..
since all i know about any of these are what i can google up about them,..
please answer in laymens terms as i'm not to computer lingo savy.
I have a kindle and love it. I only use it for reading e-books. Very easy on the eyes. I sit behind a computer all day and my eyes get tired from the back light. I dopnt have a problem reading the kindle for hours at times. Downloads very fast over 3g. If you are organized don't bother with 3g though and just always have a few books in memory and download from any free wireless hotspot. There are some obscure books that aren't on there. I use the underline feature a lot but notes are fairly difficult if you are writing more than a few words. All in all i recommend them highly.

russellah

Registered Member
Oct 7, 2010
i will always prefer paper....

Since i have nothing useful to add i'll ask a question: how many of your college textbooks are available in a digital copy?
You'd be surprised if you owned one how you wouldn't give it up. Especially if you travel. And i don't have a good answer about the text books. About 2/3 of the business books i read are on there. So a couple paper backs are still lingering around. That's how i know i don't prefer paper, ever. Those ones not on kindle do not get picked up much.

But i guess you'll never know, ha ha. Just messing.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Kindle definitely. I would go 3G. If you are spending the money...you don't know for sure where she will be and what she will need. It's not really that much more in the scheme of things.

ferrettim

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Columbia, SC
i played around with both before deciding to finally go out and get a nook. the only reason for me was the touch screen menus on the bottom of the screen which made it slightly more intuitive for me to use. in terms of selection, screen quality, etc, I'd say both devices are pretty evenly matched, so really it's just up to how you want to navigate. if you're in an area with a barnes and noble store, you do get free in store books, coupons, and other exclusive content which is a plus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store