Any reason not to put an opal in my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
I have a small frog carved out of opal that I'd like to add to one of my tanks. Since opals are comprised of water and silica it would seem safe. Any opinions? Known issues?

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i think it would be safe.. but i guess it depends on if it was polished/coated with something

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would think that they are pretty inert.

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
It's polished but I don't believe there is any coating on it. I will, of course, clean it well before adding it to the tank.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
then i'd say go for it.
and take pictures! i bet it will be pretty!

Chele&Luke

Confused Mostly...
May 18, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Guess I'm in the minority here - but personally if no-one could say it was 100% safe for sure, I'd drop it in some water for a few days and do some tests just to see if anything changed...

Won't help on the 'is anything poisonous' question, but at least that way I'd know I'd done everything I could to check it out!

Hopefully someone with opal experience will turn up and make it a 'no-brainer' for you!

Sure sounds like it's going to be pretty - good luck :)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
alot of times stones are coated with a wax (like butcher's wax) when the carving is completed..its buffed until its super shiny and you wouldn't be able to scratch it off..that is the only thing I would be concerned with.

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Maybe try putting some vinegar on it somewhere to see if it dissolves. That's a pretty standard test for wild rocks from what I've read. I'd try it on the bottom somewhere so if it does dissolve a bit you won't ruin your piece.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store