Any way of getting rid of the foggy white film on my tank water surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
I went to one of the lfs last night, but their black mollies looked terrible. Next weekend I am going up to Milwaukee to get SAEs and Otos from an excellent lfs there, so I'll pick up a couple mollies as well. I will post back with my results after I do. Hopefully they are as good as Jay's.

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
I just realized this weekend that the surface in my 5 gal. is completely clear now. I used to have serious surface film problems in there, but last weekend I added two female platys. Very interesting. You can actually see them doing it--they are constantly at the surface sipping away. If the mollies are even more efficient at it they should do fine in my 55 gal.

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
EcoPit said:
I went to one of the lfs last night, but their black mollies looked terrible. Next weekend I am going up to Milwaukee to get SAEs and Otos from an excellent lfs there, so I'll pick up a couple mollies as well. I will post back with my results after I do. Hopefully they are as good as Jay's.
what excellent fish store in milwaukee are you talking about???? There are a couple good ones up there!!

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
lousybreed said:
what excellent fish store in milwaukee are you talking about???? There are a couple good ones up there!!
Aquatics Unlimited. What other good ones are up there? Hopefully one is closer to my house. :)

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
that is a great shop. About 8 years ago I used to work at Pets N' Things in Cudahy WI. Last I checked (which was several years ago) they still had awsome prices and you can get some interesting fish there. they usually have killi fish and apistos for under $4. not as great as aquatic selection wise but they blow the doors off on prices. plus twice a year they have their famous buy one get one free sale. when i worked there, people from michigan, illinois, and iowa came for that sale. if your in the area i would definetly check it out. i have been in michigan for 3 years and i am still looking for a fish shop that even comes close....

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
Update

Fish went into the tank this weekend. 8 Otos, 2 SAEs and 2 black mollies. The mollies have yet to touch the surface, but they are mowing down the hair algae in the tank (while the SAEs just sit there and watch, I might add). I am actually finding the whole situation rather comical. Hopefully everyone will settle in and assume their intended roles. I sopped up much of the surface film with paper towels before adding the fish because it was bad. Maybe that is why they aren't up there. We shall see...

lousybreed: I will check it out the next time I am up there.

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
The stinking mollies aren't eating the surface film! Arghh!!!

I had heard that certain types of mollies were better at it than others. Does anyone agree with that? I think these are balloon mollies, although I had never heard of them before. I didn't pay too close attention when I got them. (I know, I know...but I was just thinking black mollies were black mollies.) Is there a better choice?

Perhaps the plants are too short yet, and the fish are not as comfortable up there in the open?

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
You can have some surface movement with CO2... You dont have to be totally still. Even still... the CO2 comes out, its like a glass of soda. In fact, I believe plants like strong circulation to bring them the CO2 and nutrients. Stagnant water also breeds algae.

Parin

PNG Ethusiast
Dec 14, 2005
Just create more surface current and the "white film" will go away.

Plants like current and it won't hurt your CO2 too much unless you go really overboard with the current.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store