any1 know a d.i.y algea clear

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Blackouts are effective in eliminating algae. I would do that first before adding anything to your tank. Blackouts are free, UV and chemicals aren't.

Do a 50% water change. Raise the spray bars in your tank (if you have any), or add an airpump + stone to your tank to increase surface aggitation. Cover the entire tank with heavy blankets or black garbage bags. Make sure light cannot enter the tank. If you have a CO2 system on that tank, shut that off as well. Wait 3-4 days, during this time, don't feed your fish... don't worry, they'll be fine. After the waiting period, remove the blankts and or bags, return your spray bars, etc. to their normal levels, and do another 50% water change. At this time, if you have plants, dose your tank with KNO3 so that nitrate levels are back up to the 5-10ppm level (not needed if its already there), and restart your CO2 system.

Blackouts can help get rid of algae, but if you don't solve the cause of the problem, the algae will smile and come right back at you. Algae problems are usually an indicator of somewhat bad nutrient control. If you can give us more information regarding your tank setup, maybe we can help you fix the root of the problem.

HTH
-Richer

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
i have a chiniese algea eater

i have my big cae but he doest do all of the work and i dont want to cover my tank with blankets so and thing else in english not jibberish if not in gunna have to use the stuuf from my shop

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
i meen he/she doesnt eat all the algea in the tank but still thats alot of algea left is a 12ft and my oscars will kill anything else in the tank the only reason they havent killed the cae is cause 1 its fat 2 they have been brought up togeather since they were juvaniles anyway its some sort of bond oh also the synadontis is in there as well but his alway hiding till the oscars are asleep

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
turn your tank lights off for acouple of hours mid afternoon for the next few days...this will disrupt the algaes photosynthesis cycle which they have adapted to and rely on, and throw them right out of balance, and get rid of it. cheapest method ever - in fact it saves you money on the electricity - what a bonus!

amy

a.k.a. achu
Dec 1, 1999
Austin, TX
Visit site
For the algae:

Scrape off all that you can, do a big water change, and cut back on food for the fish and light for the tank. The goal is to starve the algae into dying.

For Wetman:

"All I want is a room somewhere..... wooden-it be loverly?"

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store