anyone ever had jewel cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dark Phoenix

Bad Bird
Jul 25, 2004
Visit site
hi i was looking at different types of cichlids and i might try a jewel cichlid but i dont know much of their temparament and all can yall help me

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
i had a jewel and he was with everyone they r interesting they like to be in groups to

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I bought a pair of hemichromis guttatus from an LFS and the female killed the male within a few hours. we bought a pair of males and she killed another within a few hours and would chase the other but didn't do any damage. we removed the female and allowed the male to establish himself in the tank for about a month and moved the female back. they immediately took to eachother and laid eggs within a couple days. They ate the eggs the next day but I hope they'll get the hang of it and have a big brood I can raise. they are a very aggressive fish for their size and they do tend to be shy to people approaching the tank in my opinion. Mine tend to hide most of the time but will come out from time to time. Kyle

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I had one with my male and female convicts. The convicts wouldn't touch it.
the jewel just looked at the convicts and thats all it took. I believe I had a male, but not too sure. Anyways, I loved my jewel, but lost it in a recent move. :sad
I just got another one today........hopefully it will do as well as the last one!
Cheers

Pictuscats2

AC Members
Feb 19, 2004
Northern Il.
Visit site
I have a jewel cichlid. I like mine, he hides a lot though. I have a 75 gal. with a JD, Fire mouth,2 Bala sharks, pictus cat and a pleco. The only fish it chases is the fire mouth and they're like dogs chasing each others tails and thats only at feeding time or late night.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
just an update.........my jewel IS doing really well! :dance
The male convict and the jewel have their "own" boundaries and
everything is working out great. The only one I am concerned about now is my RTBS. He (she?) hides all the time and I never see it?!
Is this common?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
an update on mine: I noticed the male and female guarding their strawberry pot again last week and kept looking for something but couldn't see anything. about Thursday I spotted some wigglers on the substrate inside the pot I could barely see with a flashlight. By Saturday I had swarms of fry flowing out the holes of the strawberry pot and turned off my filter. We watched the parents with their brood saturday evening and all day sunday and this is one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen. the only other cichlids I've bred were shellies and this totally different. the parents guard the fry and keep them around them as much as possible. If some of the fry swim off too far, they'll scoop them up in their mouth and bring them back to "base". At first my wife freaked out thinking they were eating the fry and wanted to get them all out but I wanted to let nature take its course. Later she figured out they weren't eating them, just herding them. A wonderful sight. there are several hundred 3/16" fry swimming about with the parents in a 29 gallon and the parents are as colorful as they've ever been. I hope I can save most. Anyone ever bread Hemichromis guttatus? how about survival rate? Kyle

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Congratulations! I had a male and female convict, but they were not a breeding pair. This didn't bother me too much as I wouldn't know what to do with all the fry anyways. Happy parenting!

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Snakeskinner: I hope you have turned your filter back on, otherwise the buildup of toxic waste in your tank will kill the fry in short order.

If you are worried about fry getting sucked into the filter, cover the intake with a filter sponge. Better yet, for the benefit of this and future broods, also add an air-driven sponge filter to the tank. Not only does it help keep the water cleaner, but the fry will graze on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store