Anyone ever have a neon tetra jump ship?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sixstringphil

AC Members
May 26, 2008
Last night my wife called me over to the tank and said one of our six neon tetras was missing, then she gasped and pointed at something on the floor. I had left the hood open the night before, and apparently he jumped out! (or was thrown out by the others) I can't remember ever leaving the hood open like that before, but I'll definitely be more careful now. I just didn't have any reason to think they could jump out.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I think given the opportunity, most any fish will try to jump. I have a small bala shark who does a nose dive onto the floor everytime he gets a chance! (kinda a dumb fish.... lol)

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
IME, fish don't jump unless something is wrong in the tank (aggression, or water quality...)

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Fish will also jump if they get scared. For example, a light coming on suddenly, another fish harassing them, or a loud noise near the tank. Also, as Hebily said, fish will try to jump if water conditions are bad.

But then, there are also some that just like jumping.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
A long finned Danio jumped out onto the floor when I was first introducing them.

A Corydora jumped out of his bag straight into the tank.

But the most amusing was I used to have 2 Chinese algae eaters. Agressive things they were. One day I only had one. Assumed the big one had eaten the smaller one.

Looked around- saw no signs of jumping.

Years later moved to the US- in moving the furniture found a mumified algae eater... he wasn't eaten after all!

markdudley

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I have had a glowlight tetra jump before. Water conditions seemed fine, but he wanted to be free.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Both my tanks are "topless" for the extra light. I have had my Golden Barbs jump and hit the light, and once I heard a splash and looked around the tank to find one of my Bleeding Hearts on the floor (was save and is still doing fine).
So, yes, fish do jump for no reason.

jptjpt

AC Members
May 16, 2008
A while back, I was making the rounds before turning in for the night. I saw something on the carpet next to my tank and thought it was a piece of paper trash so I kicked it with my bare foot. Turns out it was one of my CPDs. Got it back in the tank but it was covered in some carpet fibers. It went belly up next morning. It was out of the water too long, I guess. I didn't kick it that hard, really.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store