anyone have well water?? help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
So I bought a new house, with a well, I did an aquarium water test kit and it matches my current water, good right?? Well this well water smells like rotten eggs.... I'm in the process of trying to fix it, I drink it, it seems ok, health dpt is doing a test but that will take a few days.... I need to know what to do about my fish? They have to be in the house asap, witch means useing smelly water, anyone had this problem before??? I know someone's gotta have a well and been threw this. Help???

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
It may smell bad, but it will leave your skin and hair very soft and silky. not sure what it will do, if anything for fish.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
I have we'll water smelling bad wont Hurt fish when we moved In 10years ago ours smelled like that too but going from 1 old man alone to a family of 4 and tons of laundry we washed out the well by use and after a few weeks it no longer smelled bad but we have really bad iron so much so the it stained clothes in washer
So we had a double sediment filter that catches the iron. Most of it. And have to change the 2 filters ever 25 is days it won't make it 30 they get clogged with paint like rust. And water slowed to unusable pressure if not changed.

Be no issues with fish had salt and fresh water and I don't use prime anymore unless of other issues like dead guy not found to soon or starting new tank.

Some wells never get rid of sulfur but ours was just bad from being stagnant.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You need inline carbon filtration to remove it.

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
I have well water here in Michigan. Some days the rotten egg smell is there, others it isn't. Have never had a problem with my fish, dgs/cats, or us.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The sulphur smell may or may not go away. Using it generally is fine other than the smell. As posted above, you can filter it out if needed. Luckily my well doesn't have that problem. My great grandmother's water is like what you described and we drank it anytime we were there and without issue.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
We have well water, but have no smell and have had no problems with the fish. As others have said, likely just sulphur. Not a lot you can do about it that I am aware of apart from filtration, but that's probably not necessary. Smell should subside within a day.

Sent from my ADR6325 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store