Anyone keep Hyalobagrus ornatus "ornate shadow catfish"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I just got 5 of these. I was told they are midwater fish and active in the daytime.

I've only had them 24 hours but I've not seen them.

They are QT in a moderately planted 10 gallon for now.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I believe Inka4040 keeps them. I posted a pic in the FW Id thread and he nailed it. He said his were beautiful but he wished he saw more of them, so I guess hiding is par for the course. An LFS near me has a couple of H. flavus, and they do a great job of hiding in an almost bare tank!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
Thanks Sub, I'll catch Inka in chat and ask him about them.

I lost one. In some sort of mysterious manner, one jumped ship and dried up on the counter. I'm feeling pretty sick about it! I just don't know how it happened. It was definitely my fault.

They are totally hiding. I was told they were mid-level swimmers which was a nice aspect of keeping them because you got to see them. I even commented to the seller that I had hastatus corys before and never ever saw them and was bummer because they are cute.

I can't believe one slipped out of the bag and I didn't see it. I counted them. How I missed it is beyond me. I feel so bad for the little guy!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Hey fluff! Glad to see you were able to pick up a few of these cuties. They really are awesome little fish despite their rare appearance. As far as mine go, I've been seeing a lot more of them now that frogbit is slowly taking over their tank. Not sure if it's the reduction of surface light, the abundance of cover, or a combination of the two, but they are now makin the occasional appearance outside of feeding time. I remember reading that they are closely associated with masses of floating vegetation in their natural habitat, which explains their affinity for densely planted areas where their black stripes and spots act as excellent camoflage. Overall, I have found them to be extremely hardy and easy feeders with big expressive eyes and endearingly twitchy moustaches. As far as your setup goes, I'd suggest putting in more cover for them to hide in and reducing surface light with some floating plants. Given that these fish are almost certainly of wild origin, taking some extra care to replicate their natural water parameters would also likely go a long way towards making them feel comfortable, though they will probably always remain relatively shy.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
well....I don't think I would have gotten them if I knew I'd rarely see them. Their little moustached faces are cute.

What do you feed yours?

I can get some frogbit. I have some water lettuce that is just failing to thrive in a big way. I had hoped to have it grow nicely but it is yellowing on the most bottom leaves and then they mold and disolve.

Last edited:

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Lol. Let em settle in, and learn how to creep up on the tank. At least they're really not shy around feeding time. Mine get nls pellets, ken's color crumble, frozen bloodworms or mysis, and seem to relish all of it. Not fish I would consider picky eaters by any measure.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
It's not really possible to be stealthy around this tank. It's next to the door way between the dining room and living room - a pathway that is the aorta of the house if you know what I mean! Oh well, I'll give them time and keep tossing food in the tank. Fish food isn't that expensive....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store