Anyone running Aquaponic Set-up?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
So first off, I'll admit that I'm a complete hapless newbie when it comes to fish keeping, I just loved this idea and boy did I have no idea what I didn't know...
I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there running an Aquaponic Set-up. Obviously, I'm not planning to eat the fish ( ; , just the plants. I saw a couple of old threads, but wondered if anyone here is doing it now.
Here's my set-up, it's a couple of weeks old now and I'm still cycling somewhat so not sure the plants are getting much in the way of Nitrates yet, but they're sprouting nicely.
I'm growing mostly salad greens, kale, basil... on top of a 20G tank.
Using a kit made by Ecolife. Wondering if I have any potential mentors out there.

IMG_1542.JPG

Reactions: the loach

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Did you just make that or is that a kit? Plants will also use ammonia, though it is easier for them with a pH under 7.
You will need to increase the fish load for those plants to get enough nutrients..
I see your dwarf gourami now, looking good!

Reactions: Hapless1

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
The kit was gifted to me for Christmas after I told my brother it looked cool. ( :
Will definitely need to increase load, but as per my other thread will strive to be patient and not add more for now...
Thanks, Omar's a beauty!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sort of, but not so edible..

I've got a giant pothos plant growing out the back of my 75g oscar and severum tank. It's climbed the wall and wrapped around the window this tank is up against. The roots of the pothos are in a large sized Marina breeder box, that's basically like a HOB filter, but uses a bubbler lift tube to pump water through it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Not the same cause it is a true aquatic plant but I once tried growing water chestnuts (Trapa natans)

Never got any chestnuts, not enough light... good plant for ponds in southern climates.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not the same cause it is a true aquatic plant..
If you're referring to pothos, your statement is not true. Pothos can be grown in soil or have the roots fully immersed in water. It takes a little time for the plant to adjust to either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store