anyone seen these shrimp before?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
I also am not associated with the seller, but I do know Macrobrachium shrimp.

Those are a species of Macrobrachium shrimp. There are many undescribed, or incorrectly described species of shrimp. I approve of the way the seller lists the shrimp. They are not claiming to know the species, and don't provide a meaningless common name. Though the seller does not mention the temperament of the shrimp, this I would change.

As for ease of breeding and the price; they are expensive because there are very few of us who breed Macrobrachium shrimp for hobbyist aquariums. I used to breed and sell Macrobrachium shrimp, but I've stopped. I still keep three species, but I no longer sell them.

There are two types of Macrobrachium shrimp. The first type produce young that must grow in an estuary (brackish water), and mature through approximately 7 to 9 larval stages. These are very difficult to breed in captivity, requiring multiple hatcheries and specialized food and vigorous testing and monitoring. The second type either have abbreviated larval stages (1 -2) or no larval stages at all. They do not need brackish water to mature and are much easier to breed by hobbyists.

Another thing to be aware of, Macros can be very aggressive. Larger examples, say 5 to 12 inches, will kill ANYTHING in the tank with them. The smaller species, those less than 3 inches, are not aggressive fish hunters. However, they are aggressive towards each other. They establish a social hierarchy, with a dominate 'Alpha Male' that rules the tank. He controls the adult females, and will attack other males that mature. They usually go after one another after molting. If you have a large enough tank and sufficient hiding places, two alpha males can mature in a single tank.

I highly recommend Macrobrachium shrimp, but be aware of what you're getting, and how to keep them.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
He's been posting this on aquabid for quite awhile. I tend to be a little leary of buying anything thats pricey when you dont know what it is.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Thank pixl8r and petluvr.

Is there anyway to know if the claims of super easy to breed are correct on the specific one he is listing? I would be interested in them as a live food in the larval stages, varying them with other foods I give already.

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
I previously contacted this seller about these and communication has been spotty, at best. That said, these look nice and I'd love to see someone on the forums get a shipment so we could have better pics and documentation about them. I'm guessing their entire reproductive cycle is in freshwater but can't say for sure.

Reeyia

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
OK - I'll let you know how they are - if I win the auction!

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
Please post up if/when you get them. I'm very curious. :)

demonte1997

AC Members
May 19, 2011
I'm also curious what the optimal temp is for them. Odd that the seller lists ~30*F as being an acceptible lower tolerance range...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store