Anyone tried this stocking calculator? Your thoughts on this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes..it is a waste...no program can account for territorial or genetic issues. And, more importantly..personal experience. Nothing more than an 1" per gallon site.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Bob. Be nice to yhbae. The site is based upon recommedations from this site. He's working on getting the aggression and compatability issues in as well. It's a very tall order but if he gets most of the common fish in the hobby into the system it will be a very valuable site.

Of course it might a couple of years to get there. It is a very big project with a lot of contradictory information out there.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
and his will end up being the same as any of the others...this site is not responsible for his calculations. And no simple or complex matrix will be able to take into account gender and territorial issues...plain fact of life.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I have to agree with Bob. As usual he has hit the nail on the head.

There are so many variables when it comes to fish keeping that any program that is designed would have to be so complex with so many options that it wouldn't make sense to use.

I have keep stuff together for years that aren't suppose to work and I also have had fish that were suppose to be great tank mates fail terribly.

This is especially true when you get into the bigger meaner more territorial fish.

While experience can give a reasonable to high percentage for success. Nothing not even even the best aquarist (better than any program IMO) can give anyone a 100% success probability. Again Too many variables.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Bob - Just as you stated no program or advice from fishkeepers will be 100% foolproof. There is naturally considerable variation among members of the same species. If properly designed and implemented it can however greatly assist the beginner or even intermediate level hobbyist. If designed and implemented correctly it does work.

This type of program requires a group of very knowledgeable individuals that can beta test the program and point out issues and problems. Developing something like this takes time and effort. Lot's of it. Fishbase has taken several thousand people years to build. Today it is the best source of information but it definitely didn't start out that way. In fact I can probably guarantee that some people looked at it and thought it was junk at the beginning of the development.

Yeah right now it is a buggy as can be and almost worthless but yhbae is putting the effort into making it great project. It will never substitute for 20 years of good experience but it can help some.

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
i actually think this is pretty nice, much better than gallon per inch rule. For example if you add a bala shark to a 15 gallon, even though your stocking level will be at 60% you get warned because bala shark is not suitable for that small a tank.

And if you add 25 cardinal tetra to a 15 gallon, you get warned your stocking level is 115% but not warned on the tank size as tetra is suitable for 15 gallon.

I would even go 1 step further and say this is great, whoever did it has done a remarkably good job. Adding aggression to individual fish is not needed, just a indicator xyz fish is aggressive/community/schooling etc.. will be fine.

once this program has gone to production, can we add a link to it from here, so any newbie can click and get some idea. There are at least a few threads every week on "how many fish can i add"

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I like to use it to get a general idea about stocking then I double check my findings here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store