Anyone try aquaponics?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
My dad is planning on starting an aquaponics system(pond and garden inter-working system thing). Has anyone tried this or have one? Any tips on how to keep the water safe for the fish while keeping the garden safe and edible as well?

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
going to hopefully try an ibc (industrial beverage containers) aquaponics set up this spring.there are lots of aquaponics links on youtube.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Any planted tank is an aquaponics system of a sort. With higher light you even have target nutrient levels to resupply in your water. The main difference is that aquarium plants do fine fully submerged and most terrestrial species grown for food can't stand having their roots completely waterlogged full time. There are fish only setups that have used vegetative filters to help improve water quality that would be similar to what you are going for. Those systems usually have plants selected for their tolerance for having submerged roots.

A gardening system using fish system to fertilize would be fine as long as you worked out how to deliver the water to the plants without submerging the roots constantly. I've seen a journal of using a lava rock substrate intermitantly flooded and drained turn out to be workable.

mela

AC Members
May 9, 2011
orange park fl
Real Name
Melvin Avery
Bunny bear
I have a 100gal stock tank buried under my grow bed. There are 10 comets (gold fish) in the tank. They are growing big. The grow bed has mustard greens, turnips, onions and cabbage. I am having trouble eating all the veggies. The neighbors are starting to get free greens now. When the weather gets a little warmer there will be Tilapia added to the tank and the comets will go to 150gal stock tank to start cycling two more grow beds.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
There are a few different ways of doing aquaponics. For the plants you can use a nutrient thin film, rafts, fill and ebb.
With the raft and thin fill the roots are always in water. With the fill and ebb the pump fills the bed and shuts off so the water drains out. You can also use a bell siphon and keep the pump on all the time and not worry about timers etc.
There are some tilapia that can take temps down into the high 60s. If yo intend to use these as food watch what you feed them The food must be a type that is safe for human consumption.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I have a small scale herb garden in one window fertilized by aquarium water. I invented a raft system before I found out there were affordable ways to do it that didn't require nearly as much figuring it our myself. As was said before, there are tons of YouTube videos and a dozen small companies selling parts to make your own. The concepts are simple and can be a lot of fun. Good luck to you and your dad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store