Anyone used this to make Brine Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I find it intriguing (yes, I am a sucker for gadgetry and elegant design) but have never had a need for brine shrimp sufficient to devote the tank space this would require. You lead me into temptation however by pointing out that it is on sale. I might need one some day after all.....wait. Stop. Now get thee behind me. :)

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
I find it intriguing (yes, I am a sucker for gadgetry and elegant design) but have never had a need for brine shrimp sufficient to devote the tank space this would require. You lead me into temptation however by pointing out that it is on sale. I might need one some day after all.....wait. Stop. Now get thee behind me. :)
Thats how I am. I love the idea of being able to grow fish food right in my fish tank. My problem is I worry it really wouldnt work like it should, or it would lead to a problem with the tank.

I'm going to order one for my 40g fry tank and see how it works. I still have to make separate batches of bbs though for the other tanks.
Let me know how it goes id be interested in hearing what the results are.

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
It looks cool but I dont think I would want to clutter my tank by putting it in. The one with the 2 liter bottle though that doesnt go inside the tank seems like a better idea for me but I dont know how the temp would work.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I hatch brine shrimp at room temp every day. This auto feeder thing is definitely for a utilitarian purpose and not very aesthetically pleasing, however I think the fry could really benefit from a constant supply of bbs.

My 40b has at least a hundred fry in it at any given time so I think it'll be pretty useful, and in the 40 there's plenty of room for it to hang.

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
For me I dont have tons of fry at any one time. I have a male betta in another tank and african dwarf frogs in yet another tank. Having a hatchery where I can split the shrimp up for all the tanks would work best rather than the constant supply going into only the fry tank. For you though with tons of fry definitely I bet they would love the constant suppy!

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
Very interesting gadget. Now I've never hatched brine shrimp, but my question is do you need saltwater to hatch brine shrimp? I recently purchased a little container with eggs, and don't know what gadgets I need to hatch them.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Very interesting gadget. Now I've never hatched brine shrimp, but my question is do you need saltwater to hatch brine shrimp? I recently purchased a little container with eggs, and don't know what gadgets I need to hatch them.
I am curious as well about hatching a saltwater species in freshwater. I know they are not from the ocean but from inland saltwater lakes, so the whole process is a bit mystifying for me.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
this hatchery holds the saltwater in one compartment and the hatched shrimp swim out I have several small fry tanks also, but once my fry get to a certain size I just put them in a big growout together, its kinda cool because they are all community fish so they work well together and have a nice system going.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store