API Super Ick Cure?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry to bring it up if it's been beaten to death, but a search didn't yield much on this specific brand.

Any good/bad/indifferent experiences with this product?

Just yesterday I noticed what appears to be ich on my Petco purchased neons that I haven't been having the best of luck with.

I researched the heat & salt treatment, but didn't want to go this route because of my plants and snail.

I'm just hoping to get through this. I'd hate to have more losses at this point.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I used it on a school of black skirt tetras and it did the job. Just follow the instructions and treat for about a week or two after you no longer see signs of ich. I even take the step further by raising the temp to about 82degrees.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, I gradually raised the tank temp up to ~82F. 82-84 is as high as my 29gal will go with the 100W heater that came with it. For what ever reason, my emerald corys show a much lower recommended temp range per online info I've found. So far so good. They are sill hyper maniacs. All fish are acting OK, but some of my blood-fin tetras have lost some red color to their fins. :(

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
Um, most of your fish meds are toxic to snails, so I would keep an eye on the snail, and maybe move him to another tank until you are done treating.

Edited to add: snails cannot get ich, and cannot transmit ich--it is a fish parasite and not a snail parasite

Emily

Mamajin

Psychotic Female
If you increase the temp then you may need an air stone, or you can lower the amount of water in the tank if your filter drops water like a waterfall (if you haven't done this already). Either should increase aeration as the heat lowers the oxygen in the tank. I went through this Ich mess with my Tiger Barbs... not fun. I had to go the salt & heat route due to the Ghost Shrimp, so I couldn't use meds. Took over a month to get rid of that mess. :(

Sources: Peter's Ich Notes For Freshwater Tropical Aquariums and How To Treat Tropical Freshwater Fish Diseases.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Um, most of your fish meds are toxic to snails, so I would keep an eye on the snail, and maybe move him to another tank until you are done treating.

Edited to add: snails cannot get ich, and cannot transmit ich--it is a fish parasite and not a snail parasite

Emily

Yep. I know about the toxicity thing towards any scaleless or invertebrate critters. Per the product instructions, you dose half as much if you have those in the tank.

I also have all kinds of aeration. I run a HOB and two air powered filters in this tank.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
If you go the medication route, tell us how it goes. When I had ich in my 10 gallon, I used the heat and salt method, it did the trick, and I don't remember any snails dying... (very hardy snails somehow?)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So far so good. I haven't lost any of my fleet and they're all acting happy, healthy, eating, etc..

I started the Super Ick Cure on Saturday evening, did a 50-60% WC today (Weds afternoon) and did one more dose (third dose) because I still see a few neons with a few white spots on their fins. I'll give it another 48hrs and see how it goes..

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Good to hear. And i feel your pain. I need a QT tank asap.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I did two treatments over the course of 8 days, with huge water changes between treatments and after. Kept the water temp as high as it would go for me @ ~84F. Currently day 10 and appear to be ick free.

The malachite green didn't stain anything in my tank, but it does turn the water very green. A new filter cartridge packed with carbon cleared the remaining green right up.

No more fish losses either *knock on wood*. 10 neons, 5 blood-fins, 4 corys and pearl as the kids call him. Have a black an now a golden mysery snail in there too.

I'm hoping this was a long-term success.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store