AqAdvisor Webpage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
If you have not checked out AqAdvisor.com you should. Every time I change up my stock I reference this site and they do a good job with the information they provide. I recently added a fish without referring to this page so I updated my stock list and here are my results:

·[FONT=&quot] Warning: Saddled Bichir(newest addition) is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 24 inches.(no mention of the fish eating everything in the tank)[/FONT]

·[FONT=&quot] Note: Giant Danio may jump - lids are recommended.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Warning: Green Terror is too aggressive to co-exist with Giant Danio.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Note: Rainbow Shark may jump - lids are recommended.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]=> 73.4 - 82.4F: Saddled Bichir
=> 77 - 82.4F: Delhezi Bichir
=> 64.4 - 82.4F: Blue Acara
=> 68 - 75.2F: Green Terror
=> 71.6 - 80.6F: Salvini Cichlid
=> 71.6 - 77F: Giant Danio
=> 71.6 - 78.8F: Rainbow Shark
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 6 - 15 dH.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 217%.
Recommended water change schedule: 37% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 103%.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I am prepared for a beating but for now the tank is working out well with a pH 7.5 and the hardness is around 5 dH.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Meh,

experience and observational skills coupled with a contingency plan for any fish not working out, maybe with a smidgen of common sense is always a good thing.

Expecting a free online webpage to have 100% accurate and current information about every single species of fish would be more likely to get you the beating :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
You can ignore the water temp for most fish (I know I do lol) but for size you may want to just look into that to see if the webpage is completely correct. As for jumpers, I hope you have a lid... :p

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it's good for beginners as it will give them some info in regard to stock etc.

but I don't use it except to see how bad I am according to their advice ... ;)

experience after time will help as well as doing your own research.. but it's good as a jump off for new fish keepers.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
What size is the tank? I think that's the only thing I'd have trouble with.

PSUsam11

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Sam
I feel like AqAdvisor is treated like the Wikipedia of the fish keeping world. A lot of people on here seem to downplay it because it is not "100% accurate." But I think it is a great reference and can point people in the right direction. Experience and help from real people on this forum are definitely better resources but I agree that AqAdvisor is very useful.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree with those who say AqAdvisor is a good starting point. Beginners especially will (or, should, if they pay attention) avoid some mistakes and thus save fish. But it is also true as some have pointed out that this can only be a starting guide.

The complexities of "compatible" fish in an enclosed aquarium are many indeed. The presence of live plants--but the species matters a lot--has an impact obviously. But then there is the aquascape itself, the substrate, wood, rock, plants--some fish have specific needs, other fish may not do well with these; fish needing this or that will be stressed without and thus have more impact on the tank's biology. And the filtration, particularly water flow which can impact fish physiology and this impacts the tank's biology. The number of fish in an individual species (thinking of shoaling fish) impacts the tank's biology, as fish kept in too few numbers have a greater negative impact (all else being equal). The behaviours and temperament of each species factors into this. The light over the tank is an issue. The water parameters (GH, temperature, pH) can be more or less significant to certain fish. And so forth. It would be quite a software program that could factor in all of this.

Byron.

PSUsam11

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Sam
It would also take quite the person that could factor all of that in accurately as well. All I'm saying is that people are so quick to shoot it down for not being accurate in a hobby that is impossible to predict. Nothing in this hobby is set in stone because we are dealing with living things with different personalities and infinite factors. So everything from AqAdvisor to the personal experience in a forum should be used as a guide only.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Most of the things we learn about a certain species is through experience IMO. But most things we find out through forums and research should also be considered and applied when applicable. Even though experience is the main factor in play, youll never find out what you like, what you can keep, and what you can manage without experimenting. This is where things we learn from others and research come into play.

Its a good website for beginners but as you gain more knowledge it becomes less helpful.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Aquadvisor is a great guide and a good place to start for new fish keepers, but is by no means the authority on what you can and can't do when keeping fish.

I personally know that a school of Giant Danios can live with a green terror, an Oscar and a Jack Dempsey. Also, feeder goldfish will live with these guys as well if they are introduced first, and the cichlids are added when the same size or smaller than the goldfish. That was totally an unintentional lesson learned.

Also, it's good to know that the Bichir might outgrow your tank, but it will take a while, so as long as you are aware that you may have to upgrade or sell the bichir in the future, there is no need to worry about it at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store